Notices

2003 accord ex v6 auto trans problem!!!!!!!

Old 08-12-2007, 06:39 AM
mxxmikexx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 accord ex v6 auto trans problem!!!!!!!

New to the forum, and go figure, my first post is about transmission problems. I'm desperate for advice here, my main question is... is it true that honda does not honor any sort of warranty on a goodwilled transmission?! i find this hard to believe that after we had the trans replaced under "goodwill" now honda is telling us there is no warranty and it isnt up to the dealer to do anything about it, now its up to corporate. I know this is long, but here is the entire story:

This is a must read story for anyone who owns, or thinking about owning a 03+ honda accord with an auto trans.
Heres another story for everyone to read about the piece of shi* transmission that honda makes and wont warranty. the story goes like this. We bought the car used from a mitsu dealership with about 30K miles on it, about a year later with 40K miles on the car we started experiencing the dreaded "slipping transmission problem" and finally it got to the point where it was undriveable. so after searching on the internet i found that there were tons of people complaining about fautly transmissions on the automatic accords and that there was service bulletin "recall" issued from honda to fix a broken 2nd gear in the transmision. So after calling the toll free honda usa corporate people, they told me that our car was already taken into a honda dealer and had this 2nd gear replaced by the previous owner. so basically according to honda, they did their part by repairing the 2nd gear, and even tho the trans is now broken less than 20k miles later, there is nothing honda will do to cover the cost of a new trans. So after multiple phone calls, i find a honda dealer about 60 miles away that is willing to good will the transmission and give us a new trans. GREAT NEWS! right? well, less than one year later and less than 9000 miles after the "NEW" trans was installed, the car is already showing symptoms like it did before in the beginning stages before the trans completly broke. the car slips out of gear, the TCS light comes on for no reason, etc. So i call up our local honda dealership in schaumburg to make an appointment to bring it in and have them look at it hoping that they will experience the problem and fix it for us. so after talking with the service advisor he tells me that if they can get the trans. to act up , honda will fix the problem since the replacement trans carries a 12month/12,000 mile warranty. SO needless to say, the car never had any trans problems while they had it. I dropped off the car on tuesday and left it with them until friday, making them drive the car multiple times, but of course it never acted up from them. So I went in the service center friday afternoon to pick up the car and try to come to some resolve with the service dept. ovbvioulsy i didnt bring the car there for an imaginary problem! the car is doing the exact same thing it did a year ago right before the trans broke! so after spending almost an hour talking with the service advisor and service manager at schaumburg honda, this is what they told me. since the car was serviced at 20k miles for the 2nd gear replacement, and since the car was "goodwilled" at 40k miles with a new trans, honda DOESNT GIVE YOU A 12MONTH/12,000 WARRANTY ON A GOODWILL REPAIR!can you believe that crap?! so even tho honda installed a supposedly new or remanufactured transmission, they do not honor any kind of warranty on a goodwill repair? wtf is that? so basically they told me that when/if the transmission does completly fail again, that I or they, can TRY to call corporate honda to see if they will honor another goodwill repair on the trans. but they stressed that this decision is solely up to corporate, no honda dealership is going to make the decision on their own to authorize the repair. So here is a brief recap of the timeline of issues. 20k miles the car was serviced for the "recall" of the 2nd gear problem. 40K miles the transmission completly fails and is towed to honda, and a new/remanufactured trans is installed. 48k miles the trans is starting to act up already. now honda tells us we're basically on our own. they tried to charge me $105 to look at the car, so after asking the service manager how he would feel if i charged him $105 to drive his car around using his gas and sitting in the a/c, and then telling him that there is nothing wrong with the car, he agreed to split the cost with me. and by the way, my girlfriend drives this car, so its not like shes beating the crap out of it when she drives it. and then to top this entire story off, when i walked to the car there was overspray of paint over the entire front end, hood, fenders, windshield, bumper, and even in the engine compartment. so i grabbed the service advisor to show him, after looking at the car for 10 minutes, he offers to drive it back in the shop and have someone clean it up. 5 minutes later he pulls the car back around front to me, and has the audacity to tell me that maybe the paint was on the car when WE brought it to them! he insists that there was no way paint could of gotten on the car since they dont have a body shop on site, so i told him that i wasnt going to be the one to clean this up and that they better figure something out. so now we have to bring the car back to have a detailer wetsand and buff the car out. moral of the story, if you buy a honda accord, make sure you get a manual transmission, because obviously whatever they are doing to fix the problems isnt working.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:48 AM
Misa
Pic Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

too long to read. cliffs?
Old 08-12-2007, 10:07 AM
mxxmikexx

basically honda is telling us that since they already goodwilled the trans with a refurb they DO NOT OFFER ANY SORT OF WARRANTY ON A GOODWILL REPAIR, since, in their eyes "they did us a favor when the didnt have to, and didnt charge us, when they could of charged us". and before we had the trans goodwilled, i called honda usa and they werent willing to warranty it since the previous owner already brought the car in at 20k miles for the 2nd gear replacement recall, so according to them "they fixed the problem" and its just a coincidence that we now had a broken trans. luckily i found a service manager who would goodwill the trans last time, but now that service manager is no longer working there because he was fired (go figure, the one guy that helped us, got fired by honda). this car looks like its going on its 3rd trans in less than 30k miles, and honda keeps saying they did their part and there is no more warranty options for us. my maxima has 134k miles on it, never had a trans problem, bmw has 110k, no trans problems, supra has a 500hp motor and i had less trans problems with that car than this honda does.

Last edited by mxxmikexx; 08-12-2007 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:13 AM
losiglow

I haven't heard much of auto tranny problems with the 7th gens, only the 6th gen. That really sucks though man. Unfortunately, Honda's auto trans seems to be it's archilles heel. I'm glad I prefer manuals.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:15 AM
autofreak

Does the tranny issue affect automatic 4 cyl. models too? I've only heard tranny problems with 6 cyl. models.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:13 PM
foot

Did you ask a question somewhere in there?
Old 08-13-2007, 03:28 PM
mxxmikexx

is it true that honda does not offer a warranty on a "goodwill" repair? if so thats pretty fuked up.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:44 AM
autofreak

Well if Honda is telling you that they don't cover goodwill repairs...then they probably don't. Did you buy extended warranty? You should have your transmission checked to see if it really was replaced or just simply treated with a quick fix to remedy the problem temperarily.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:31 PM
foot

Honda has replaced probably a million v6 transmissions when the trans is beyond the manufacturers standard warranty or the extended warranty. I actually think they are being pretty good about the whole transmission issue on these vehicles. I have seen them "goodwill" a transmission at around 150k.

If they don't offer a warranty on a FREE transmission, so what?
Old 09-29-2007, 07:37 PM
helloworld

Mmm... isn't the drivetrain warranty 5yr/60k? Or I'm dreaming...