Notices

VTEC Engagement Problem .. PLEASE HELP ASAP

Old 11-08-2005, 01:22 PM
CaliDELSOL93si

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VTEC Engagement Problem .. PLEASE HELP ASAP

Hey Guys,

On my way home from class, i wanted to test vtec just to make sure everything was A OK. anyways, i am used to engagement at 5,500 rpm, it didn't engage until about 6,700 RPM. I then stopped, and tried again, this time, it didn't engage at all. I went straight home, checked oil and the oil is perfectly clear with about 2000 miles and filled properly. i then check connections to the vtec selonoid and everything seem fine. I REALLY NEED HELP TO GET THIS FIXED. ANY AND ALL ADVISE IS GREAT. I have all ready searched and cannot solve, so don't be abnoxious and tell me to search other forums.

CHECK the bottom of the post, UPDATE

Background info:
B16a2 w/ about 40K miles in a Del Sol
I/E/H, B&M FPR, etc...

Thanks in advance for the help
Old 11-08-2005, 01:23 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how do you know what it's switching?
Old 11-08-2005, 01:26 PM
CaliDELSOL93si

How do i know what it is switching ???? what are you trying to say right there ???

um, vtec engagement used to be about 4400 RPM's and secondaries would open up about 5500 - 5600 RPM's.

If you are asking what i think you are asking, i watched the tach the entire time to know where i was in range.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:34 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

but how would you know when the vtec selonoid switches you over to the secondary cam profiles. if it comes on when it's supposed to you shouldnt feel anything happen.

now i can understand if it came on at 6700 you would feel something because it's so much higher in the range than is normal that a jump from the base cams to the higher profile cams would be a big step.

in case you were to know exactly what was going on, were you at the correct operating temperature?
Old 11-08-2005, 01:36 PM
CaliDELSOL93si

yeah, ran engine about 15-20 minutes before trying all this. Engine Temp was perfect. Normally, the switch over you can barely hear at about 4400 RPMS, that is what i meant if you got confused. I have CTR Cams that are EXTREMELY loud so when the secondaries come on, there is NO MISTAKE.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:41 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Originally Posted by CaliDELSOL93si
yeah, ran engine about 15-20 minutes before trying all this. Engine Temp was perfect. Normally, the switch over you can barely hear at about 4400 RPMS, that is what i meant if you got confused. I have CTR Cams that are EXTREMELY loud so when the secondaries come on, there is NO MISTAKE.
well i'm confused then, are you talking about a secondary butterfly valve opening?

and on my gsr you couldnt hear vtec engagement at all. in fact you shouldn't hear it at all.

maybe your vtec selenoid is shot? maybe thats why you could hear it engage in teh first place.. and now it's just not working?

where did you buy the engine from and when was it installed?
Old 11-08-2005, 01:44 PM
CaliDELSOL93si

Engine bought from PASSWORDJDM: Installed about 3 months ago. All belts/fluids/etc... at time of install. No leaks, no problems. Dizzy was also replaced at time of install.

I used to have a 94 gsr. i also upgraded the cams to skunk2 and when in vtec, i could easily hear it. You don't feel your vtec ? how do you know it is engaged ?
Old 11-08-2005, 01:45 PM
CaliDELSOL93si

sorry for the noob questions, i guess i don't know vtec like i thought i did
Old 11-08-2005, 01:58 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

don't worry, it's a common misconception.

see GSR's had secondary air intake paths, just as the Si-VTEC preludes.

when these secondaries opened up in conjuction with an open atomosphere intake system (such as a CAI or SRI) you could hear a major change in sound.

but if you were to be able to close your ears you should never be able to tell because smoothness of operation was one of hondas concerns when designing the engines.

i drew this up for learning purposes so it's crude at best, but imagine the black line is the HP curve of the lower cams and the blue line is of the higher cams.

idealy the vtec crossover would be around where they intersect. in the case of the 02-04 rsx type-s's this wasnt true, thast why the hondata reflash was so popular, and this is why i think alot of those "vtec cams are more powerful" myths continue to come up on a daily basis, simply becuase changing it in that one case made a difference.

as you can see to the user there should be a smooth transition between the two, to you the torque should just seem to continue along it's merry way until you hit redline.

edit and if you could imagine it turning on at 6700 instead of the desiered position , about an inch further to the left, see the jump it's have to make, i'd have to believe you'd feel that. thats where i was confused on wether you didnt understand or you actually did
Attached Images
File Type: gif
untitled.GIF (3.4 KB, 184 views)
Old 11-08-2005, 02:09 PM
CaliDELSOL93si

nice drawing. better then i could have done. Here is the thing, i can't hear nor feel the higher cams kick in. it feels like i am just continueing along the black path. any advice ?