Notices

can a V6 high flow cat fit on a 4 cylinder?

Old 08-26-2002, 10:56 AM
RKV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can a V6 high flow cat fit on a 4 cylinder?

hey guys, i have a 1998 Honda Accord coupe 4 cylinder 2.3 Liter Engine EX model. there is a guy with a 1998+ honda accord Coupe V6. Now, i kno the V6 and 4 cylinder exhausts do not match, nor the headers i think. however, i need a High flow cat BADLY. i am in the process or ordering an OBDII carsound universal one for $80-90 shipped, because they still dont make a direct fitted one like random tech for OBDII honda accords. but random tech is better than carsound from what everyone says. now im thinking the most important factor of a cat, is if its an OBDII or and OBDI, cuz the OBDII has a hole for the O2 sensor. Universals u have to weld anyway, and dont these universals fit for different cars even? so shouldnt a direct fitted V6 cat be able to fit a 4 cylinder, seems more probable, because these universals can even fit from prelude to accord to integra. because we're both 6th generation accords, we must have some similar styling? do any of u guys kno whether this can be done through welding and maybe a little cutting, cuz this guy is selling it for cheap.. they retail over $200 new. and installation is only like $80-90 if welding is necessary. still less than the $240 i would be paying for a direct fitted one.
Old 08-26-2002, 10:59 AM
RKV

btw guys, update: i installed my denso iradiums Ik-16s and changed my oil. car is starting to feel better. all thats left now is change the cat, and maybe the O2 sensor on it. i already changed the O2 on the header, cuz my mechanic is an idiot, it wasnt messed up i know, i thought he changed the O2 on the cat!!! $250 went down the hole. =(
Old 08-26-2002, 11:29 AM
AccordSleeper
Former H22 Accord Owner

Originally posted by EliteAccord
I would get the OEM cat because the high flow aftermarket cat may not have a hole you can put the O2 sensor in and you can not drill a hole.

Any custom exhaust shop can make an 02 sensor bung. I have a carsound, but the 02 sensor plugs into the lude header so, I didn't need a bung added.
Old 08-26-2002, 05:59 PM
RKV

naw, i kno the random tech comes with an O2 sensor, cuz it wouldnt be an OBDII direct fitted high flow cat if it didnt. which means, it fits with no welding, just bolting it on, and if its an OBDII, it came with the O2 sensor hole. cuz his car was a 6th generation, and random tech come with the hole, cuz i saw one on ebay selling and he made a point it comes with the hole. so im wondering guys, do u think this will fit, a Honda Accord Coupe V6 with an I4? same years, same car... they should be able to weld it right? cuz universals can EVEN fit from integras to civics to accords... im thinking going from a V6 to I4 should be cake then.. what do u think accordsleeper and ELITeaccord? u guys kno alot.
Old 08-26-2002, 06:04 PM
RKV

one more point, random tech is one the best high flow cats... retail is around $250 OEM retail is $890-1000 so, eliteaccord take ur pick LOL... random tech is one of most expensive and reputable High flow cats, maybe second best only to Jackson racing i think and a very few others.. beside, both pass emissions, and u get twice as much air flow in a high flow cat... so better high end performance, not low end... i kno. but it costs a 1/3 of the OEM. so y take an OEM, if both pass ultimately?
Old 08-26-2002, 06:49 PM
RKV

ELITEACCORd, i went to 5 different places man, $870 was the lowest.. u have to remember this is a new 3 way catalytic converter OBDII, not the OBDI like many 5th generations, after 1996 June something i think, every honda is OBDII... and honda charges $900(just for the cat), my mechanic tried to charge me $1050... the cheapest was this ghetto place for $870, and i dont trust its a real OEM cat, i kno my mechanics is real tho, cuz he does good business. but anyways, its not $250 bro, just for ur info. for future people that have my same problem, thats y alot of people with my car just sold their cars messed up, and i kno one guy with a 1998 Accord Coupe V6 who just gutted their cat LOL... i think thats an illegal thing tho in states that do emissions testing, or maybe anywhere? and btw, random tech fits PERFECT, i kno alot of people with them. they just bolted it on, of course a few i kno have gotten the wrong one but they thought it was the right one, so they had to do some cutting and welding... but can any1 answer my question? will a high flow cat that fits on a V6, will it fit on a I4? will welding need to be done? cuz i kno the exhausts dont fit from V5 ot I4 for 6 th generation
Old 08-26-2002, 06:53 PM
RKV

typo, i meant V6, not V5... but anyway, eliteaccord, the only thing i can think of what ur saying are i did some research and their is this one reputable website that does OEM STYLE cats, and guarantee passing emissions, they say they use same dimensions, specs, and material. however, they had no cay for the OBDII accords yet it said... and those are like $165-185? so, i'll take a random tech man... cuz they make one for my car, and i kno they have worked... even tho this place seems legit with a 100% warranty of u dont pass, i wouldnt have done it with them anyway cuz random tech and carsound are out there
Old 08-27-2002, 04:18 AM
AccordSleeper
Former H22 Accord Owner

My carsound cat was $87 shipped and works fine, why buy anything else?
Old 08-27-2002, 06:13 AM
RKV

thanks accordsleeper, yea, i wanted a carsound too, best money/for ur buck i've read in a lot of places, but, the OBDII carsound cat, is not the same one as urs, its $115 shipped at this ebay seller(who has a very good rating like 300 something positive) and he sells the OBDI universal cats for only $58-68 shipped... so imagine how low of a price that $115 is. this guy with a random tech is selling it to me for only $75. so im gonna take it but hey accordsleeper, can u tell me, he wrote me and said the O2 sensors go, before and after the cat... is that tru? i thought there is a hole on the cat itself? thats what someone said at least one time when i was bidding on a 4 cylinder high flow cat for an OBDII system Random tech. he said theres a place for the O2 sensor on it. did i misunderstand that ebay gu, but i swore i saw a place for the O2 sensor?