Notices

1st post, some general questions, ss, turbo, etc...

Old 03-19-2005, 03:18 PM
southern_lude
97 San Marino Base SS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st post, some general questions, ss, cams, suspension, etc...

I have been lurking for a few days. searching and reading.....

I just recently bought a 97 base lude with sportshift. I am really impressed with the car so far, there is some for improvement though.

I am probably going to have about 3 grand to try and drop into it here in the next few months.

My questions are.

1. Has anyone here just upgraded the torque converter in the tranny to a higher stall unit? Is this the major area of opportunity in these tranny's. I know that these transmissions are supposed to be somewhat problematic. I just got the car and plan to have honda reverse flush the tranny here in the next few weeks.

2. the next area of attention I am considering is possibly putting in hotter cams. I figure this is good for a few horsepower and a bit more torque on the low end. Has anyone here got any experiences they want to share in reguards to cams?

3. Fuel management, CAI, and exhaust. considering a VAFC to help tune the fuel curve. Would a CAI and exhaust be a good compliment to hotter cams? I don't really want to change these if there is no real benefit over a drop in k&n.

4. Suspenison. considering eibach prokit springs. I only want about an inch of drop. What shocks are reccomended? Anyone out there running the tokiko adjustable shocks? What are the opinions on the eibach springs.

I want a car that will preforme really nice on the twistys and still have some get up in town.

anyways. thanks in advance for the info. maybe I will be able to contribute sometime in the near future.

btw. my name is Scotty and I live in Guntown, Mississippi.
Old 03-20-2005, 02:58 AM
jc836

Congrat's and welcome
I will not get into turbocharging. Not my thing.

The primary improvements you can easily make will be intake and exhaust. We used the K&N drop-in and for daily driving it works just fine (better gas mileage too). Our exhaust is a Thermal for its sound and OEM look (sort of ). These 2 things do not harm reliability. Our car (FOR SALE) is otherwise untouched under the hood. Suspensions are my specialty.
We went with Koni "yellow" Sport shocks and Neuspeed Sport Springs. The drop is not extreme and is actually road friendly. Granted that a serious speed bump must be taken slowly-but that is true with only 1" of drop from stock. You should also consider a different rear sway bar. Ours is a Neuspeed 25mm and it does help plant the rear better than stock. Wheels and tires in our case are stock diameter. RE730's work very well compared to the OEM RE92's. You might want to consider going with 16x7 rims rather than the stock width just to get a little more contact patch and offset as I did.

Now to the SS gearbox. Do get it reverse flushed at a Honda dealership. Price ~$100. While it is there consider doing the timing belt service (includes water pump, etc). Have them check that the motor mounts are ok. As to stall speed-there are several drag race Torque Convertor products out there. They are not really meant for the street. The transmission is computer controlled so you are limited as to what you can do without a teardown. As my Honda Tech (25 years same dealership) says-if it works leave it alone. The only issue with our transmissions has to do with the fact they are sequential and they take longer than some others to "spool up".

I hope this helps.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:21 AM
southern_lude
97 San Marino Base SS

Cool. I may just do the drop in K&N and maybe get a 2.25 inch exhaust put on.... I hear that the open element CAI's can lessen bottom end torque somewhat.

How do the koni shocks and neuspeed springs ride? I want a slightly lower, firmer, ride but don't want my teeth rattling.

I don't know why but I totaly forgot to post about the sway bars..... they are going to be one of the first things I will probably do. Thinking of the suspension techniques combo from summit....

just recently did the timing belt....

thanks man.......
Old 03-20-2005, 10:51 AM
kenton
Change sig? Lose [quote]!

Yes. Open element CAIs can lessen bottom end torque.

Case in point, I drive a 98 Accord Coupe. The AEM intake adds 7hp on the top end, but in the low end (2-3,500) it loses a little bit of torque compared to the OEM airbox assembely.