Notices

Front coilover top hat

Old 08-18-2002, 08:25 AM
Screech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front coilover top hat

I bought the car, '99 Accord 4Dr 4cyl, with the Maxspeed coilovers all around, Tokico(blue) struts on the front and stock struts on the rear. The left tokico "popped", so I decided to replace all of the struts. When I dropped the front struts I didn't like what I saw. Who ever installed them had to had screwed up in my mind. Maybe they installed the wrong coilovers for my year/model the front are labeled K562 and the rear are K472. Most of the components are date stamped OCT-00.

Right now the top hat is under the lower strut bushing. this is putting all the weight on the bushing that is meant to just support it struts resistance. This has resulting in the tophat smacking into the strut mount lower bushing cup and flattening it out.

I had to put car back together but plan on riping back apart to fix soon, but I need scanner of install sheets to know how it is suppose to be.

Also links/info on good bushings would be great, think the current one are ruined due to the weight(they are almost flat) so I need to replace them too.

Screech
Old 08-19-2002, 06:56 AM
Screech

How about a diagram of how your coilovers(any brand) go in. I need to see how others are installed so that I may fix mine.

Right now I am thinking of cutting off the lowwer bushing cups on the strut mounts. Boring the holes in the tophats just enough to let the little sleeves in the bushings slide. Putting the tophats against the bottom of the upper bushing cups with a thin pieces of rubber(maybe old tire sidewall) between them to prevent noise and scraping. Then putting the strut bushings in the upper bushing cups and the bottom of the tophats. This way the tophat will stop moving with the strut bushings.

Any comments suggestions?
Old 08-26-2002, 01:24 AM
Screech

Well seeing as I got no replies I went ahead and did the work. So far all is good and for the first time since I bought the car the ride is quiet. No more banging of the tophat agianst the strut mount.

The only variation from may last reply was that instead of removing the lowwer bushing cup from the strut mount, I cut 8 slots in it and beat it flat. When I was tring to drill out the spot welds the drill's bits kept on breaking.

Now all I need to do is learn how to or get my coilover adjusted right, figure out where I like the struts set and I'm done with suspention, aside from regular alignments.

Screech