Notices

6th Gen prelude shifter

Old 04-27-2004, 01:22 PM
Ben95ex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6th Gen prelude shifter

i just wanted to let 6th genners know that i've recently installed the 5th gen prelude shift assembly into my '02 coupe. it's a direct bolt in, the hardest part is getting all the plastic center console pieces out of the way. it is about 1.5" or so shorter than the stock accord piece and reduces throw a little bit, i might still install a short shift adapter...

i'll post a picture of the final result (sorry don't have any pre-install pics to compare with) soon.
Old 04-27-2004, 01:31 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

The same is true with the 5th gen accord and 4th gen prelude im pretty sure.

Although I prefer a saber saw and welder, to make the stock one shorter.
Old 04-27-2004, 01:36 PM
Ben95ex

it's almost the same with the 4th gen prelude shifter in a 5th gen accord, actually it's easier... i know because i did that to my old 5th gen before i sold it.

and i'd rather spend $100 than find a die set to use... plus i like how the shifter sits closer to me with the prelude unit, i don't have to lean over to put it in 5th gear anymore.
Old 04-27-2004, 01:49 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ben95ex

and i'd rather spend $100 than find a die set to use...
A die set for what? The shifters cannot be re-threaded because they are hollow. To shorten the shifter you cut where the shift arm meets the base (where is already welded together) then remove the amount of shifter you want and weld the 2 back together. You can also tweak with the position of the knob at this time by rotating the shift arm from its stock position, or angle the cut on the shifter.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:33 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

http://www.e30m3performance.com/

Read this guys info on shifters, I actually installed the Lude Leather shift knob on my stock shift arm. It actually raised the shifter and sets it at even height with the armrest of the 6th GEN making shifts much easier to pull off quickly.

Short stubby shift arms don't help you do anything in the Accord but curse the living crap out of the center console.

The taller shift arm also makes it way easier to reach forward with ones hand resting in fifth gear and change the radio controls too. :P

I had a short arm on once, made my hand fall asleep on long trips, I'm now an ergonomic shifter freak for life. I don't care how it looks it just feels good
Old 04-27-2004, 06:54 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

i actually like how its short... easier to change gears... besides the stock shifter looking like a tree in the console. I have the shifter cut and a B&M adapter (way overpriced, I know) and have no problems with the console. The only thing that bugs me is the shift boot sags and collects crap. Someday I'll come up with somethin to remedy that though. The way mine sits, with a CL-S leather knob, is perfect for me... the height is just right.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:08 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

Originally Posted by SumAccordGuy94
i actually like how its short... easier to change gears... besides the stock shifter looking like a tree in the console. I have the shifter cut and a B&M adapter (way overpriced, I know) and have no problems with the console. The only thing that bugs me is the shift boot sags and collects crap. Someday I'll come up with somethin to remedy that though. The way mine sits, with a CL-S leather knob, is perfect for me... the height is just right.
Dude I love your description, long live the TREE.....
Old 04-28-2004, 02:46 AM
Intrepid241

I like my Stock Accord shifter just where it is. Personal prefrence I guess...
Old 04-28-2004, 08:58 AM
Ben95ex

whatever guys... i just though some people might like to know that a 5th gen prelude shifter is a direct bolt-in affair to a 6th gen accord. i like mine and i don't care....

as far as the die thing goes, yes you can rethread it but it looks like a HUGE pain in the ass... and i don't have access to a welder so that's not an option for me.

and i plan on getting the $40 leather shift knob from like hparts or hondaautomotiveparts or something, and having my fiance make me a nice custom leather shift boot to replace the sagging vinyl one in there now.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:18 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

we're not dissing you... thanks for the info. Im sure someone will find it useful... we're just posting our opinions. I HATE how tall the shifter is in accords... reminds me of the older eclipse! In my case I do have a welder, so I opted to save the cash and do it myself. Maybe the 6th gen shifter is different, but I know the 5th gen accord shifter is hollow and cannot be cut at the top and rethreaded. Sometimes I wish I angled mine a little differently when I welded it, but I also like how when its in neutral its centered in the shifter opening.

What leather knob are you looking at? When your fiance makes you a new shift boot, you can re-use the chrome piece at the top of the boot, so the new boot will mate up with the shift knob like stock. Also, see if she'd be interested in making a second one and I can pay you for it.

Quick Reply: 6th Gen prelude shifter