Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

So here are the handguns I'm looking at

Old 04-26-2004, 03:12 PM
ManInCamo
Old School Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So here are the handguns I'm looking at

lookin for (prefereably) a .40

purpose: CCW/Personal defense/general range shooting

My frame : Medium+ build 5'11" , 190lbs

meathod of carry, IWB - concealed

my favorites, without holding any of them : Springfield XD40 subcompact, 1911 3.5" subcompact .40 , Sig 239 .40

Went to go by the gun shop today, and they were closing as i pulled in. I'll probably get to go again on Thursday to narrow the list down significaltly based on what feels good in my hand

• Springfield-

o XD .40 3” barrel

or 4” barrel

o 1911 subcompact - 3.5" barrel

• Sig
o P239 - .40 -3.6" barrel

• C/Z
o P01 Police Compact 9mm 3/5" barrel (.40mm prefered if available)

• Glock

o Model 27 - 3.46" barrel

• Smith & Wesson

o Model 4006TSW Tactical Series -4" barrel - .40

o Model 410 4" barrel .40

o Model 457 3.75"barrel .45 cal

• Sturm Ruger

o P93 compact 3.9" Barrel 9mm

• Taurus Int’l

o PT-140 3.25" barrel .40

• Kahr
o K40 Compact 3.5" barrel .40

Opinions from those who actually use guns?
Old 04-26-2004, 04:07 PM
Bl@ck
Sinner

personally i don't think you can go wrong with the 1911 style, however i'm a little more partial to .45 caliber
Old 04-26-2004, 04:08 PM
wagon89

Have you looked at the H&K sub compact? For my CCW I have had a H&K 9mm fullsize, I liked the gun alot I did not like the trigger pull. We changed the connector and it felt alittle better. I sold it and bought a glock 17 9mm with 18 round magazines and the lasermax internal laser sight and a M3 tac light and night sights. Right now IM using my Glock for my PC-832 shooting couse at school. I only speak for fullsize guns I do imagine H&K's sub compact is a quality weapon.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:46 PM
Preacher
Old fart

Originally Posted by ManInCamo

o 1911 subcompact - 3.5" barrel

• Glock

o Model 27 - 3.46" barrel

o Model 4006TSW Tactical Series -4" barrel - .40

• Sturm Ruger

o P93 compact 3.9" Barrel 9mm

• Taurus Int’l

o PT-140 3.25" barrel .40
Ok.. I own or have owned the pistols above (in some cases, in different calibers)

The Springfield Ultra-Compact is a nice pistol, one of my favorites. The only problem I have had is that it was a bit too tight when I first bought it. It would sometimes fail to return to battery (the slide would not return to the locked position) when it was dirty. A diamond lap to the rails and 500 rounds of ammo loosened it up enough to be carried and depended on. Still own it, still carry it.

S&W: Had a second Gen S&W that was a decent pistol. Reliable enough to carry, accurate enough to be effective, but a trigger only a spastic could love. S&W autoloaders have the sloppiest triggers in the industry. Sold it and bought a Springfield stainless Gov .45

I own the G30 version of the Glock above (.45) Utterly dependable, it is the pistol I grab when I am going to toss it in my pocket, in a fanny pack or in a bag I am carrying. I don't worry about dirt and dust or about banging it around because I know that when I pull the trigger, it will go bang. Still own it and still carry it.

The Taurus.... Not the biggest waste of money I ever spent, but it ranks up there in the top ten. The thing was a toaster. Too big, too clunky, not very accurate and built cheaply. I was very disappointed because I own and love 2 Ruger revolvers (3-screw blackhawk and a Single Six convertible) The guide rod was cheap aluminum and the steel recoil spring was gouging large chunks of the rod up after only 200 rounds. Called Ruger, they said "We'll sell you a replacement".... no, I'll sell this POS and get another .45

Bought the smaller Ruger in the PT-111 version for the wife. The trigger is horrendous. It is so long that you are sure the damn thing is broken by the time it goes off. The ejector broke after 50 rounds and Ruger fixed it for free (after about 4 weeks...) Has been OK so far since repaired. The wife wanted this pistol for her first gun because of the way it fit her hand. She felt safer with the longer trigger. Now that she has fired more handguns and become more confortable around them, when we go shooting, she shoots my .45's and leaves the PT111 in the box. She still has it, it sits on the bedside table gathering dust. No way in hell I would carry it unless I had no other firearms to carry and my NAA .22 were broken.

That's all I got.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:19 PM
shivers
Moderator Alumni

I've got a G27 and I absolutely love it. You've got quite a list there. The single most important thing I will stress, go into to various shops and handle every gun on your list. If the shop does rentals, rent a few different models on occassion and shoot the heck out of them. Get the gun/model that feels most comfortable to YOU. If you don't like to hold/shoot it, you won't want to carry it. Just my $.02
Old 04-26-2004, 07:35 PM
antarius
Large Member

I dislike all super sub-compact handguns, but I'm weird.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:51 PM
XSrcing

ummmm...you are always looking for a new gun. so it seems.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:43 PM
ManInCamo
Old School Crew

Originally Posted by antarius
I dislike all super sub-compact handguns, but I'm weird.
I would love a full size, but I'm going to conceal carry as often as possible.(Here in NC, its illegal to carry on school grouds - even college campus') and I'm a student so.... hmm

but I want a gun large enough to still have fun at the range, with a caliper big enough to get the job done should I need it in a situation
Originally Posted by XSrcing
ummmm...you are always looking for a new gun. so it seems.
I'm always researching which gun I would like to buy. I'll be buying it within the next few weeks, maybe sooner - just had my 21st bday
Old 04-27-2004, 12:46 AM
brtecson
pukimonster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

no beretta on your list?? iirc, you said the AF uses berettas as service pistols:thinking: but i doubt those are compact enough to cc:dunno:

dont mind me, i'm just a e-marksmanh:
Old 04-27-2004, 05:14 AM
str8edgexx

My first choice would be the Sig, but its a little too big for conceal carry (same thing with the H&K USP Compact). Out of those listed, I'd go with the Glock 27. You could throw it out a 10 story building into a swamp, take it out, and it would still shoot perfectly. I carry a S&W as my duty weapon, so I'm slightly biased against them because I don't think their weapons are nearly as good as their European counterparts. I've heard good things about the XD, but to me it seems like a Glock copy, and with that being the case, you might as well go with the original. Kahrs are decent weapons, but I've heard that they are VERY tempermental until they are fully broken in.

Quick Reply: So here are the handguns I'm looking at