Notices

Input needed from ITR turbo owners..

Old 10-16-2003, 12:25 PM
captainzorg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning to turbo my ITR in the future. I wanted to get feed back from some ITR owners who are running turbos.

What size injectors are you running?
Engine management?
Exhaust?
Are any of you running a lighter flywheel?
Type of turbo?

I am in the research phase right now. Thank you in advance for all of your input.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:45 PM
Jan Niemi

Well, you can read my sig for specs, I run 12s with this setup, but I don't recommend it, I would recommend that you start off right and get a Hondata system for engine management.

I run the stock flywheel, with a turbo you don't have to sacrifice the stock flywheel, believe me, you will have plenty of power and the stock R revs to redline so easily with the stock flywheel already that it should be your last mod if you still have money left over. I have also heard from people with ultra-light flywheels that they don't idle well because of lack of inertia from the reduced weight. Also remember that yes you may be able to get into the powerband quicker with a lighter flywheel, but you will drop out of the powerband quicker also.

Anyways, check out Erik Bs setup too, he's making 254whp on 5Psi!! :twisted:
Old 10-16-2003, 01:03 PM
captainzorg

I will share my thoughts.

I am thinking of going 440 RC Injectors
I already have a VAFC but have heard Hondata ia very attractive
AEM fuel rail
AEM fuel pressure regulator
Will I need an upgraded fuel pump?
JG Edelbrock Victor X intake Manifold

I know very little on the types of turbos that are available.

Did I leave out anything??
Old 10-16-2003, 07:33 PM
jdmhotboy

when ya boost a type r motor ...do ya need a new head gasket to low down the compresion so ya can not blow up ya piston? because rite now.. im boosting my jdm itr motor rite now and my compresion is 11.1.. i need a head gasket to low down the compresion to 10.3 and block guard with arp head stud so my motor can not blow up when i boost
Old 10-16-2003, 08:06 PM
ITR41

I have inline pro head gasket that lowers compression for 10.6:1 to 9.6:1. I also have their block guard. I have a 18g greddy kit from a gsr that is fitted to my ITR. 450cc injectors, 12:1 fmu, missing link, 255lph fuel pump, vafc, boost controller, etc. I am runnin 15psi on this set up right now on stock internals with 83k miles. I went 13.0@109mph on street tires, stock exhaust, full interior w/spare, and pump gas. the fuel set up I am using is known to make over 400whp on stock internal honda's with the head gasket and block gaurd if you tune it right.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:09 PM
Brusso

NUMBER ONE I REALLY DON'T RECOMMEND BOOSTING ON A STOCK BOTOM END.... IT WORRIES ME TOO MUCH,,, I'M RUNNING AN HKS 2835R TURBO BUILT BOTTOM END WITH 550 CC INJECTORS , AEM FUEL RAIL, 255 LPH FUEL PUMP, AEM EMS , PORTFLOW HEAD, .... ANY THING YOU CAN THINK OF I THINK I DID IT... B&M OIL COOLER... I RAN 12.45 AT 116 ON STREET TIRES.... ON 91 OCT.... 100 OCT LETS ME BOOST MORE AND GET ABOUT ANOTHER 100 HP .... IT WAS MY FIRST TIME OUT WITH THE CAR SO I DIDN'T WANT TO PUSH IT TOO MUCH.,,,, BUT SINCE NOTHING BROKE , I LOOKS LIKE IT'S TIME TO START PUSHING...
Old 10-17-2003, 02:52 AM
Jan Niemi

I disagree, but numbers don't lie. The stock bottom end is good for 300+ whp (tuned), interestingly enough, I ran a few 115mph runs only pulling 12.8s on street tires - well we know where the powerband lies (top end)
Old 10-17-2003, 11:07 AM
ITR41

Brusso the correction factor is stupid cause you ran what you ran. maybe they should start correcting times at national import events huh? you went 12.9 no ands, ifs, or buts. on top of that the stock ITR bottom end will hold massive amounts of power on crap for fuel managment(as jan and I both showed this year) also, turbotyper on honda-tech made over 400WHP on the same set up I have with bigger turbo his car did mid 11's on that set up, but maybe he should correct his time to sea level :roll:
Old 10-17-2003, 12:19 PM
Erik B

CAPS LOCK is to the left of the keyboard right in the middle...please use it.

Anyway,
Are we going back to this "you can't boost a Type R because the comp is too high BS" again. Getting back to the question asked, I'll post what I went with and my numbers to give you a idea. Jan is right though if I had to start over I would have saved an extra $1,000 and gone HONDATA from the get go.

What size injectors are you running? STOCK, will be getting Greddy 720's for 400whp one day
Engine management? Vortech 12:1 FMU, Inline fuel pump, OBD1 ECU and VAFC
Exhaust? Greddy 3 inch all the way through custom 2.5 inch dp flared to a 3inch for quicker turbo spool.
Are any of you running a lighter flywheel? NO...stock fly wheels on TypeR's are great
Type of turbo? T3/T04e (.63 A/r housing, 60 comp side, stage 3 turbine wheel)

Tuned, like Jan said I put down 254 @ 5psi. Thats going to be key on a good boosted TypeR motor. I'll be doing Hondata in like 1 month and in tank fuel pump with bigger injectors and will be turning the boost up. I'm looking for 300whp, SAFE, on low boost..... :twisted:
Old 10-18-2003, 08:19 PM
Brusso

O.K. O.K. .... Did i do something to piss off someone ???? Their is no question a b18c5 block can take some serious abuse and make some power.... all i'm saying is that i've seen many motors not running right and when you open up the oil pan you have bearings all over the place...I personally decided to build the bottom end and run a aem ecu with alot of dyno time to make sure that doesn't happen to me. As far as the corected times go..... you're right , i did run a 12.9 at 111 with a 2.14 60 ft. at 3000 ft... if you happen to look at the web site lacr.net they give you the equasion to correct your times .... the bottom line is their is no doubt in my mind that i will run 11.5's or so at pamona with slicks and the boost turned up to 16 lbs.... can i get some love ???? I was so happy the car ran well at that altitude and nothing broke ... i can't even explain it... now if i could just get my tach to work i might know when to actually shift....
P.S ... what was the altitude where you ran.... sea level ??? maybe ??? ops: