Notices

Suggestions on vehicle purchase

Old 12-07-2003, 12:52 PM
RATM03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions on vehicle purchase

I had a few questions concerning an Integra. I have about 10k to spend on the car and i have about 2500 to spend on mods right away. I'm wondering whether it's really worth looking for a GSR or settling with an LS. I've seen a couple of good deals but they are lengthy distance away to just "look" at them. I saw a 97' GSR with 50k miles, 5-speed, for 10900. Another question is how hard is it to find an LS with a DOHC VTEC under the hood, because I haven't had much luck. I'm open to about anything as long as it's not negative feedback, if you're in for that, look elsewhere because I have no need for bullshit comments. Thanks
Old 12-07-2003, 12:55 PM
TarHeeL-Si

get gsr and get nice i/h/e and a decent suspension and you will not regret it...dont' go for ls/vtec unless you are sure the people who built it did a really good job
Old 12-07-2003, 01:00 PM
RATM03

so what you're saying is they didn't manufacture LS with VTEC? On the contrary, I live in the boonies of NJ and it's hard finding a good deal that isn't a 1 hour + drive. I found the one GSR, which is about a 3 hour + round trip. Since this will be my first car and I'm only 16, my dad will be making the final decision in my purchase. So I need to give him some good aspects of looking at this car because he's already turned me down due to the far drive. Basically it all comes down to the condition of the car, the price of it, and whether it's everything I need. So give me some advice and pointers about GSR vs. LS. Thanks
Old 12-07-2003, 01:02 PM
b_dyche
owned by a 9 car pile-up

Go with an LS. You'll appreciate it after you wreck daddy's car the first time and your insurance goes through the roof.
Old 12-07-2003, 01:02 PM
RATM03

It would be nice to find someone who has a carfax account so I can look up the car's history....then work from there to convincing my dad that the car is a steal...
Old 12-07-2003, 01:21 PM
RATM03

this is just frustrating as hell, as i see it...because i have to wait around and see these good cars pass me by. I could get a LS and just drop a B18c in it...for 2800. I just don't know what to do at this point
Old 12-07-2003, 01:28 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Honestly, what I would do is get a clean looking LS/GS/Special Edition, and convince your dad to save his money for a bigger and badder car down the road.

If this is your first car, I guarantee you, that despite your best intentions, this car will get the shit kicked out of it... it's purely the nature of being one's first car. And if you get a GS-R at your age, the insurance WILL be through the roof.

And I dunno about your family, but my mother would be impressed as hell that I showed rational thought and delayed gratification... Getting an stable and reliable car now, and saving your money for a nicer car 3-4 years down the road is what I'd recommend...

Hell, 3-4 years down the road, and you'd be able to pick up an RSX-R, SRT-4, MSP, or similar nice car for quite a reasonable price...
Old 12-07-2003, 01:48 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally posted by b_dyche
Go with an LS. You'll appreciate it after you wreck daddy's car the first time and your insurance goes through the roof.
Easy there... Let's keep the discussion civil. Please.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 12-07-2003, 01:58 PM
b_dyche
owned by a 9 car pile-up

Originally posted by NorCal DC4
Easy there... Let's keep the discussion civil. Please.
Sorry... I suppose I should be a bit more gentle to the kids...

I guess what I was getting at is the same as what was said about "despite the best intentions, it'll still get the shit kicked out of it"

And you'll probably wreck it at some point, or do something stupid and break it... better to do that with an LS than a GSR, IMO

I apologize for my rash first post... h:
Old 12-07-2003, 02:34 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally posted by b_dyche
Sorry... I suppose I should be a bit more gentle to the kids...

I guess what I was getting at is the same as what was said about "despite the best intentions, it'll still get the shit kicked out of it"

And you'll probably wreck it at some point, or do something stupid and break it... better to do that with an LS than a GSR, IMO

I apologize for my rash first post... h:
:goodjob: I agree entirely, the insurance on a GSR with a red-blooded male behind the wheel won't be cheap.

Plus the LS and GS models still handle beautifully, and love enthusiastic driving.

And the B18B can easily be tuned for some very nice daily-driver power. (GReddy Bolt-On Turbo Kits, JRSC etc...)

:cheers: My advice would be to find the best maintained GS coupe or sedan you can find, pocket the savings in insurance and go from there. An well-maintained GS with $4K worth of motor and suspension work has the potential to be one strong daily-driver.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!