Notices

D15B7 Head on D15B2 Block

Old 02-13-2006, 05:27 AM
primetimeDX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D15B7 Head on D15B2 Block

I was wondering, I am currently running a B15B2 engine in my 88 CRX Dx. I have gotten an Si tranny and a new clutch. But I also stumbled across a good deal for a stage 2 cam. According to the company the cam fits into a B16A6 Head or a B15B7 head. My buddy said I could have his B15B7 head for free so I figured I would throw that on my block and install the Cam and Adjustable cam gear. My question is... if I am going to swap to the B15B7 Head, what parts would I need to do so. I have already done the MPFI conversion or I am in the process I should say. The intake manifold will bolt up, but do I need the D15B7 distributor or anything additional in order to put it on my D15B2 block? anyone with some expertise please let me know. Or anyone in the Havelock NC area who would be able to help me when I get all teh parts in would be great to. Thanks for the help in advance!!!
Old 02-13-2006, 09:06 AM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

Its not worth it... The B7 is only 102 HP more, it dosnt have VTEC... So just to attain a cam, I would even bother with the swap... Unless your head is dead and u have have to change it out anyways, in which case Id just get a Z6/Y8 head with VTEC...

As for what youll need, if your keeping it OBD0, which theres no reason to switch to OBD1 if your not getting VTEC with the head, is your stock dizzy which you may have to modify to fit, the head gasket (not sure which one), waterpump and timing belt... That should be it...

Honestly tho, for the what 5-10HP you MIGHT (but probably wont) gain from the more aggressive cam, that $100 or so for the cam, $80 for the cam gear, $150 for belt and pump $80 for head gasket set and atleast $200 for tuning it all (oh believe me youll need it tuned with this bastardization of a combo), when its all said and done u could have went and got yourself a worthwhile swap...
Old 02-13-2006, 11:49 AM
primetimeDX

Thanks for the insight...the only reason I was considering going this way is because the head is free... I already have a headgasket set, timing belt, and waterpump, and I can do this work myself. If I were to buy the z6 head, I would have to convert to OBD1, find the parts and have them shipped, and do the wiring. If I had someone close who could help me with the mini me setup I would go for it, but on my own it is a little over my head.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:21 PM
jlicrx

D15B2, D15B7 and D16A6 head castings are all the same - just have different camshafts
Old 02-13-2006, 01:25 PM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

^I thought so, but didnt wanna give out false info just incase I was wrong...
Old 02-13-2006, 01:28 PM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

Originally Posted by primetimeDX
Thanks for the insight...the only reason I was considering going this way is because the head is free... I already have a headgasket set, timing belt, and waterpump, and I can do this work myself. If I were to buy the z6 head, I would have to convert to OBD1, find the parts and have them shipped, and do the wiring. If I had someone close who could help me with the mini me setup I would go for it, but on my own it is a little over my head.

Where is local? There maybe someone on here local willing to lend a hand... I wish there were more ppl around me too that were more into performance, and not so much into euro tails and chrome bling bling rims...
Old 02-13-2006, 01:49 PM
primetimeDX

I am in Havelock, NC. Everyone around me are all ricers too... with their extravagant Euro lights and bumble bee exhausts. So not too many people I can turn to.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:13 PM
crazycivic

Default not to steal the thread or nothing.

I dont want to steal the thread or nothing,but I've practicly been looking for this info for a long time now!(past coupld of days)
heres my post at automotiveforums.com
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=521340
(which everybody there sucks -nobody will answer my questions/hates on me/arguing)
but n e ways,
I'm putting a d15b7 camshaft on my d15b2 head
I just need to know 2 things,
1. Will it bolt up with no timing issues?(being the camshaft is different)
2. What valve clearance would I set it at? (b2 or b7)
by the way,
heres my ugly setup:
d15b8 block - 90k was 66k
d15b2 head - my old head
d15b7 camshaft - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=8037899381
d16a6 valves - recut

practicly read the post I posted at automotiveforums.com,it explains it better.
thanks n advance & sorry for the hijack & long post....
Old 02-13-2006, 04:00 PM
m735is

I had to put a B7 cam in my kids B2 over the XMAS break, the B2 cam had some scoring on the lobes. Everything went back together fine. I can't remember what I set the valves at though. Everything is 88 DX except the cam.

I don't drive a B2, but he says it feels alittle faster-definetly all stock though, so take "faster" as you will.

What's the difference between the two cams anyway? Specifically.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:53 PM
crazycivic

I've done alot of research on this & havent really found anything on the camshaft exactly,both 16v's,
d15b7: 9:2:1 cr, 102 bhp @ 5900, 98 lb-ft @ 5000, redline: 6800
d15b2: 9:2:1 cr, 92 bhp @ 6000, 89 lb-ft @ 4500, redline: 6800

but everyone else said that the b2,b7,b8,ext... are all internally the same,
I just didnt want to set the b7 camshaft clearances,then have valves hitting the top of my pistons because it might push them down farther then the b2 or b8 camshaft,
its all a little confusing to me,
but I will probably go with the b2 clearances & just put everything back the way it is,timing,ext...
thanks
(if anyone else has info please let me know)