Notices

98 Accord 2.3L - Costs for timing belt change

Old 02-27-2006, 10:51 AM
DarkSideAccord
Chidori-chan :love:

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lk21joker
With OEM parts (timing belts, drive belts, water pump) and labors, it cost me only $380.
wow, tht's cheap.. where at? so cal
Old 02-27-2006, 12:55 PM
strykernyc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honda parts made in japan should run just a little over $200.<--the entire timing belt kit from tasauto.com . now the dealer wants $200 just for the timing belt. yeah thats some bs. but like 98coupe said, $750 is the price for a 4cyl at the dealer. I wouldnt trust anything else other than honda parts for this critical job.
and no is not normal for any type sound to comeout of the car after a timing belt job. whoever did the belt job didnt do it perfect.
other than the dealer maybe 10% of all the shop out there know how to work on a honda.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:12 PM
lk21joker
AnotherAccordOwner

Originally Posted by DarkSideAccord
wow, tht's cheap.. where at? so cal
I got a friend who works as a mechanic at the Costa Mesa Honda in So Cal and he got 25 and 40% discount for OEM parts
Old 02-27-2006, 08:16 PM
DarkSideAccord
Chidori-chan :love:

Originally Posted by lk21joker
I got a friend who works as a mechanic at the Costa Mesa Honda in So Cal and he got 25 and 40% discount for OEM parts
wanna hook me up, both parts and labor? i'll buy u dinner
Old 02-28-2006, 06:18 AM
klnyc

Do you guys change the tensioner while you in that area?
The T.B tensioner its around 56.00 oem price. I wonder if worth it?
Old 02-28-2006, 09:08 PM
sagarman

I was just quoted $740 today for the timing belt/water pump replacement job from the place I've been taking my car which specializes in Honda, Toyota, and Subaru. Decided to check with a dealer in the area and was quoted $620. Pretty amazed that the dealer came in lower than then independent shop.

I was blown away by these quotes originally as I have never paid mor than $300 for this job on any of my Toyotas, but I guess from what everyone else is saying, these estimates sound like they are in the ballpark.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:55 PM
spydercatt

Default Video DIY for Honda Accord 2.3L

Originally Posted by F3user
Just bought the car last week with no idea of previous maintenance history. 93,000 on the odometer so I decided to get the timing belt / water pump changed. My mechanic told me his book called for 6 hours labor but that it wouldn't take that long so he charged me $250 labor (his shop gets $65/HR). His shop is a Napa Car Care center which means if he uses the more expensive napa parts, the work is warranted (parts and labor) for 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever comes first. The napa timing belt kit was around $250. I could have brought him a cheaper kit that I bought and saved a hundred dollars, but would have lost the warranty. The water pump was $65 (plus antifreeze), I also had 2 external belts (power steering, alternator, ac) changed. I ended up having the front rotors turned and new pads installed ($75 labor, I supplied the pads). Total for everything with 7% tax was $752. I just thought it might be helpful to some people to know current pricing for this maintenance. For what it's worth, the parts that came out appeared to be in very good condition, showing little wear but at least I won't worry about it now.

To see a Video DIY of how to complete this job, check out the following video:

http://youtu.be/9TMR9PG3fko
Old 10-19-2014, 10:14 AM
spydercatt

Default Detailed DIY Video of a Honda 2.3L Timing Belt - F23

Originally Posted by F3user
Just bought the car last week with no idea of previous maintenance history. 93,000 on the odometer so I decided to get the timing belt / water pump changed. My mechanic told me his book called for 6 hours labor but that it wouldn't take that long so he charged me $250 labor (his shop gets $65/HR). His shop is a Napa Car Care center which means if he uses the more expensive napa parts, the work is warranted (parts and labor) for 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever comes first. The napa timing belt kit was around $250. I could have brought him a cheaper kit that I bought and saved a hundred dollars, but would have lost the warranty. The water pump was $65 (plus antifreeze), I also had 2 external belts (power steering, alternator, ac) changed. I ended up having the front rotors turned and new pads installed ($75 labor, I supplied the pads). Total for everything with 7% tax was $752. I just thought it might be helpful to some people to know current pricing for this maintenance. For what it's worth, the parts that came out appeared to be in very good condition, showing little wear but at least I won't worry about it now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TMR...iIDOtvQyGAp6-g