Notices

98 Accord 2.3L - Costs for timing belt change

Old 02-22-2006, 06:48 PM
F3user

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Accord 2.3L - Costs for timing belt change

Just bought the car last week with no idea of previous maintenance history. 93,000 on the odometer so I decided to get the timing belt / water pump changed. My mechanic told me his book called for 6 hours labor but that it wouldn't take that long so he charged me $250 labor (his shop gets $65/HR). His shop is a Napa Car Care center which means if he uses the more expensive napa parts, the work is warranted (parts and labor) for 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever comes first. The napa timing belt kit was around $250. I could have brought him a cheaper kit that I bought and saved a hundred dollars, but would have lost the warranty. The water pump was $65 (plus antifreeze), I also had 2 external belts (power steering, alternator, ac) changed. I ended up having the front rotors turned and new pads installed ($75 labor, I supplied the pads). Total for everything with 7% tax was $752. I just thought it might be helpful to some people to know current pricing for this maintenance. For what it's worth, the parts that came out appeared to be in very good condition, showing little wear but at least I won't worry about it now.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:55 PM
Misa
Pic Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the dealer is charging about the same. h:
Old 02-22-2006, 07:21 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

I got mine done for I think around $450 from a Honda Certified Tech. The place is called Dave Griffen Auto for anyone in the area. Honda only repair shop. Great guy, one of my cam seals started to leak, fixed it for free no questions. Did it same day too.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:26 PM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

I've been quoted $852 at the 3 Honda dealers closet to me. This includes all drive belts and the water pump ... :wtc:
Old 02-23-2006, 05:16 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

I would really strongly advise not to buy anything besides OEM Honda parts for a job so important. $250 is a very good price for labor, I think I got mine done for like $150 by my personal friend/mechanic but when it comes up again I'm going to try myself. Honda dealers seem to charge around $750 total for an I4 and $850 for a V6.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:12 AM
F3user

I wouldn't dispute the quality of OEM parts, especially Honda's, but I'm also pretty confident in Napa's premium parts. The reason Napa can stay in business when they charge more for parts than discount chains is because when professional mechanics have to warranty their work, they will pay more for parts that are built to a higher standard. Besides, they just pass the cost on to the consumer. Considering I also got my rotors turned and pads replaced and the year warranty, I think I got a pretty fair deal.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:04 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by F3user
I wouldn't dispute the quality of OEM parts, especially Honda's, but I'm also pretty confident in Napa's premium parts. The reason Napa can stay in business when they charge more for parts than discount chains is because when professional mechanics have to warranty their work, they will pay more for parts that are built to a higher standard. Besides, they just pass the cost on to the consumer. Considering I also got my rotors turned and pads replaced and the year warranty, I think I got a pretty fair deal.
I typically buy NAPA premium rotors, and they're great, but I once had a set warp in 2500 miles. They were replaced no hassle under the warranty...but I think it's safe to say that NAPA quality control is nowhere near what Honda demands from its suppliers. For the extra $50 I'd rather have the peace of mind knowing I have the best possible part for a job like this.
Old 02-26-2006, 04:39 PM
F3user

Listen to 98CoupeV6 on this... when I picked the car it was raining and I couldn't listen to the engine carefully. The next day when I had some time alone with the car (no kids, wife, rain or other distractions) I could listen to the engine carefully and it definetly makes a whining sound it didn't have before. I have searched this forum and found several other people that had this sound after timing belt change. I can't help but think if I had gotten Honda parts it wouldn't sound like that. The mechanic said its just a new belt and will wear in, but I don't know...
Old 02-26-2006, 09:41 PM
lk21joker
AnotherAccordOwner

Listen to 98CoupeV6 on this... when I picked the car it was raining and I couldn't listen to the engine carefully. The next day when I had some time alone with the car (no kids, wife, rain or other distractions) I could listen to the engine carefully and it definetly makes a whining sound it didn't have before. I have searched this forum and found several other people that had this sound after timing belt change. I can't help but think if I had gotten Honda parts it wouldn't sound like that. The mechanic said its just a new belt and will wear in, but I don't know...
IMO, that is not normal. The same thing happened to my 94 accord after having the time belt replaced (aftermarket parts). I beared with the noise for one year and one day I couldnt stand it, i took it to another mechanic and had the belt tension readjusted, the noise somewhat went away and not completely and so I decided to have the timing belt replaced again, oem parts this time. With OEM parts (timing belts, drive belts, water pump) and labors, it cost me only $380. Go with OEM parts and it will save you money in the long run. See, with two timing belt replacements within a year, i paid almost what the dealer would charge, and think about the time and the stress you have to deal with.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:29 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

That's probably a noisy caused by improper tensioning of the system. The belt is probably vibrating at a certain frequency that is causing a noise. Loosening or tightening the belt will fix this, though I'm not sure how belt automatic tensioners work