Notices

TSX in the snow?

Old 03-07-2005, 07:13 AM
DMBeer41

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSX in the snow?

Hi guys and gals,

I'm thinking about buying a new (05) TSX. I live in New England, so I do a lot of driving in snow, and have NO idea how this car would handle it. I'm debating between the TSX and the Saab 9-3. Any input (as unbiased as you can be), would be greatly appreciated. My family has always owned saabs, so I know how they fare in the snow, but nobody I know has an acura. Thanks!
Old 03-07-2005, 08:41 AM
jschmid

The TSX should be just fine, the type of tires you use will be just as much of a factor as the car in this case, both fwd, similar power, etc (living in NE you probably already know this)

I would test drive both, see what you like better and just get that one...they will very similiar in the snow, so go with what you like without snow consideration. Both are cool cars imo, good luck.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:54 AM
flyromeo3

The only thing I would question ( even if its worth it ) is the traction capability of the turbo charged Saab in the snow.

In the snow my tires spin alot more due to the turbo in my VW but it could also be since im using my stock rims with a +1 tire.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:44 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Saabs have a pretty sophisticated control scheme for their engines. With the T-8's motorized throttle, you don't get nearly as much 'unintended' throttle as before (like pre-'99 turbos). Our 9³ is like that too, & besides it's got traction control.

I haven't driven a TSX or a new 9³ in the snow, but our '03 Accord (almost a TSX) is pretty good in the snow. But I'm partial to swapping tires for winter, anyway. Just 10 or 20mm in tire width can make a big difference (narrower is better in snow).
Old 03-07-2005, 12:46 PM
flyromeo3

?(narrower is better in snow).?
Hmmm.........is it because it puts more weight on the ground in one space on a narrow tire?
Old 03-07-2005, 01:00 PM
JL95AccorD

Originally Posted by flyromeo3
Hmmm.........is it because it puts more weight on the ground in one space on a narrow tire?
That's the same thing that I was wondering and guessing. Makes sense.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:18 PM
kenton
Change sig? Lose [quote]!

Wasn't it Mazda with the "Wider is better" campaign?
Old 03-07-2005, 01:28 PM
jschmid

Originally Posted by flyromeo3
Yes, rather than sitting on top of the snow and basically hydroplaning, the narrower tire can get down to the traction surface.

Originally Posted by kenton
Pontiac Grand Prix I think is what you are thinking of.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:30 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kenton
thats pontiac with the wide trac grand prix, i always liked that car actually....

the TSX will be fine, saabs are junk, i dont care what you pull out of your hat, i will never think of buying one (i know there are a few good ones, but they are all basically junk)

now the TSX should be ok in the snow, like any other FWD car.... but dont drive in it if you dont have to.

i hate ppl that drive in the snow when they shouldnt..... its unsafe for EVERYONE