Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

Auto-X help!

Old 07-08-2006, 09:49 PM
n0va

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto-X help!

Okay, I took a racing class in so-cal last month (which was amazing). I've learned alot and applied my skills to my autocross club and now I need to modify my car to... basically get the feel. I can't tell what's going on because I can't feel what the car is doing. I think I should replace the bushings, but I thought I'd ask here first to see what I should do. It just doesn't feel smooth, it's not too terrible, but I want it to hold itself down more. I'm in the street prepaired class and was wondering what I can do to stay in that class and give me the input from the car that I need.

Also, I can't seem to heal-toe into 1st from 2nd. It seems I have to be going rather slow to get into first (about 1-5mph it doesn't even show on the tach).

Thanks alot,
n0va
Old 07-08-2006, 11:11 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it takes skill to get it into first from second. at first i thought there was something that didnt allow shifts, but it just seems that you need to rev match perfectly to do it. so if you are going 30 mph in a gsr you need to spin the engine all the way to 6k to slide it into first... and it just seems weird to downshift that high.

and for you i'd suggewst new tires... a good set of falkens should treat you well
Old 07-08-2006, 11:39 PM
n0va

I have Falken Azenis Sports on them right now... Should I try something else?
Old 07-09-2006, 03:05 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Moved to Track & Autocross forum...

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 07-11-2006, 09:15 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Why do you need to heel toe from 1st to 2nd? Just press the clutch put it in gear and shift?

Have you thought about getting thinner shoes? I have $15 Asics wrestling shoes when I autocross. Makes a world of difference when you want to "FEEL" what the car is doing. No other mods will do that.

Also think about getting a 5 point harness. It will keep you in your seat so you can concentrate on driving and not holding onto the steering wheel for dear life.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:21 PM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

Couple of CHEAP options that will suffice instead of 5 pt...

One is to get one of those auto X "locks" you put on the seatbelt to keep it from recoiling, the other, recommended by last years 3rd place national STS2 (and first place miata STS2) driver recommends just twisting the seatbelt a few times before you click it in so you can cinch it up. and it works for _her_

I know you're in street prepared, you may be beyond that point...

and convince yourself you don't need to spend money on your car year one. You proly wont need to till year two, and any spare money you get you should dump into tires to keep you stuck and cool water to keep your head cool.

yeah the bushings might help but ask yourself why you're noticing they're bad. My guess is you need to smooth out your inputs and it will be less problematic. Let me add also, I've been driving on the street with all seasons the last few months and testing and playing with the car and that taught me a lot of things the decent tires (hankook rs2's as azenis aren't available for my car) were masking.

I need two things year one. Repeat this over and over to yourself in the car:

1. Look Ahead.
- you cant do ANYTHING with what you just passed, or even what you're approaching. Look ahead, plan for what's coming
2. Turn early.
- you're turning too late, its too safe, the cones won't hurt. Smack em! and once you learn how early to turn just remember to think about the rear corner of your car hitting the cone. TRY to hit the cone with the BACK of your car.

If you're top tier and a real quick learner add to the above two:

3. SMOOTH. Smooth acceleration, SMOOTH braking, SMOOTH turning. Consistent, easy, aggressive, but intentional movements. Don't oversteer, dont brake too early. SMOOTH. keep your speeds as high and as consistent as possible.

I would add to Mike's comments, dont worry about heel - toe. Try to do your shifting in a straight line and then "who cares" how smooth it is. launch at 3-4k, redline, slam second in a straight line and live there the rest of the race.

Last edited by Fujiwara Takumi; 07-11-2006 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:32 PM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

Originally Posted by n0va
I have Falken Azenis Sports on them right now... Should I try something else?

Assuming you're in street prepared, and running with a club that doesn't allow street tires or you're not interested, step up to race rubber (victoracers). Everyone else in your class is probably on that, it will buy you 5 seconds if driven well.

If you have the option to run street rubber with a PAX modifier than by all means stay on the azenis and try to pick up whatever you can from your competitors.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:59 AM
CivicSiRacer

By the way it's good to see you back You've got some great information considering you are on your way to becoming a race car driver
Old 07-12-2006, 06:15 AM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

who me?

if so thanks.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:03 AM
CivicSiRacer

Originally Posted by Fujiwara Takumi
who me?