Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

Helmet advice for someone with GLASSES

Old 02-26-2006, 05:27 PM
chimchim
WRX cuz Honda won't wagon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet advice for someone with GLASSES

I'm in the market to finally buy my own helmet for use in autox and karting, with the option to use it on the track for driving schools (not competitive). I'm not sure I need an SA, I think an M2005 is good enough (but correct me if I'm wrong).

My situation is that all the loaners I've used have demonstrated that I need a helmet that accomodates wearing glasses too. Contacts are not an option for me because they bother my eyes.

Is there a particular helmet type/brand/model (prefer full face) that better accomodates wearing glasses and what do other people do?
Old 02-27-2006, 03:23 PM
LER510

I've never had any issues with my Cyber (full face) helmet and glasses. Neither does my brother (he's got the same model - can't remember what it is). Can't put the helmet on with the glasses on, but they fit through the eye opening OK. The key for any kind of helmet issue is to try it on before buying, if at all possible.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:56 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

I agree. All helmets should fit with your glasses on. Just have to take your glasses off to put the helmet on.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:24 AM
chimchim
WRX cuz Honda won't wagon

Well, last time I went karting, I was wearing a balaclava and the combination made it impossible to put my glasses on correctly. The eye hole was too small for me to work the glasses in under the balaclava correctly, and I ended up wearing them on the sides of my ears. Luckily the helmet was tight enough to hold them in position.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:45 AM
CivicSiRacer

Well it's the balaclava's fault not the helmet.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:54 PM
DakarM

Originally Posted by CivicSiRacer
Well it's the balaclava's fault not the helmet.

yep exactly. for this reason i don't wear the balaclava but then it's easy for me since I have my own helmet.
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:19 PM
CivicSiRacer

Originally Posted by DakarM
yep exactly. for this reason i don't wear the balaclava but then it's easy for me since I have my own helmet.
Well you only have to wear a balaclava for road racing IF you have facial hair. If I remember the Solo I rules right.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:28 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Originally Posted by CivicSiRacer
Well you only have to wear a balaclava for road racing IF you have facial hair. If I remember the Solo I rules right.
Last time I read the rules, that was correct.

As far as brands that suit glasses, what I've found is that if the helmet has removable cheek pads [a lot of them do these days], your glasses arms will fit between the cheek pads and the permanent padding pretty well.

That said, my old shoei wasn't bad, and my new HJC is real nice as far as glasses fit. I usually wear contacts, but I always test fit a new helmet with glasses just in case the need arises.

As for the balaclava issue, if you can wear your glasses over it, I'd suggest doing so, the helmet will hold the glasses arms well enough to do, especially with the padding gap I mentioned earlier. If you really want to wear your glasses over your ears like you're used to, I'd suggest shopping around for a balaclava that meets whatever rules you need to meet, with larger, or at least wider eye holes. The single hole balaclavas usually work pretty well with glasses.

PS, I also race karts and do Solo/HPDE when I can.