Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

Going round tracking help!!!!!

Old 11-25-2005, 05:58 PM
Timex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going round tracking help!!!!!

Were looking to build a Honda for a front wheel drive class at a local 4/10ths mile asphalt track. The cars are required to be stock in almost all respects with regard to suspension. Engines are also stock, four cyl non- turbo.Including models from early 80s thru early 90s what would be the best choice of car? Cars must weigh a minimum of 2200 lbs. I have raced small block Chevys for years but am pretty clueless when it comes to any fwd cars. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:08 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Need more info on the rules.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:13 AM
Timex

Well.... There are about 110 rules here and i'am having a hard time finding one that doesn't have the word stock in it somewhere. I really like number 11 ... Cars must have wipers, heater, and a radio in working condition. Dash must be stock. It looks like they are intending to take a completly stock car, remove the glass, interior (except for the dash) add some roll bars (inside car only, no bars may extend thur the front or rear firewall) a racing seat, window net, fuel cell and go racing. All parts must be oem, stock for make and model. Any 1980 or newer car weighing 2200 lbs with a four cyl non turbo engine may compete.Engines must pull a minmum of 20 vacume at an idle speed of 800 rpm. I suppose anything the tech man can't catch is ok but most of the time your competors will give him a heads-up if you have anything too far out of line.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:15 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Well the 2200lbs really kills some of the good cars like the 1988-1991 CRX Si and the 1989-1991 Civic Si which weigh in around 2100-2150lbs.

You can go for the Type R which is a great track car out of the box. Just add a roll bar and upgrade the brake fluid and you should be good. But prices are a bit high still for a clean Type R.

Next option would be the 1999-2004 Civic Si.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:57 AM
Timex

If I under the rules correctly one is allowed to add weight if necessary to make the 2200lb minimum. I would like to stay around an 88 to 91 model if possible because of the price and avaliblity of junk yard parts. Pieces tend to get used up pretty fast in circle track racing. Thanks for the info Civic. The CRX Si certainly does look like a quick little ride.