Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

Are there any open road tracks in central/so cal?

Old 11-03-2005, 02:53 PM
Ctrld-Kaos
i need a wrench wench

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are there any open road tracks in central/so cal?

I was kinda curious, are their any tracks around central and southern cali that let u take ur car out on a track for a session? Like laguna seca perhaps? I've always wanted to take my car to a track to see what it can do, im not talkin drag racing either... stright lines are for fast cars not fast drivers. If not does anyone know of any abandoned highways? like the ones they use in commercials and stuff.. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:44 PM
Ctrld-Kaos
i need a wrench wench

anyone ..... bueller? I would have posted this in the track/autoX forum but, no one seems to post in there..
Old 11-03-2005, 05:22 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Well that would be the plac to post it, eh? :0
Old 11-03-2005, 09:49 PM
syclone

http://track-days.org/

for cali.. i go once in a blue moon.. i hate the drive to get there... i try to attend the ones that are held at california speedway..
Old 11-04-2005, 07:48 AM
Ctrld-Kaos
i need a wrench wench

what are the rules and regs of going out to the track? what is required? any special classes that need to be taken b4 hand? are there any safty requirements for the car?
Old 11-04-2005, 03:35 PM
syclone

Originally Posted by Ctrld-Kaos
what are the rules and regs of going out to the track? what is required? any special classes that need to be taken b4 hand? are there any safty requirements for the car?
rules and reg varies from host to host.. but learn the flags..
-Blue flag: it's a passing flag.. if it's waved at you, there's a faster animal wanting to get by you.. slowly move out of the way to let him pass.
-Yellow flag: caution.. someone or something is messed up.. don't drive all out, slow down near the flagged area. NO passing during caution.
-Reg flag: track is halted.. track session is over due to unforseen circumstances.
-Black flag: you screwed up. reduce your speed and go into the pits. they're going to yell at you.
-White flag: one lap left
-Checkered flag: it's over dammit, get off the track.

your car must past technical inspection.. working brakes with pad life still decent. battery must be tied down securely.. mostly safety stuff.

most events seperate the run groups by experience levels.. they have a beginners class with instructors. do NOT go into intermediate just because you THINK you're good. here was one of the responses i heard when they pulled one driver off course due to uncontrolled driving.. "Have you done this before??".. response.."No".. "Then why are you in the intermediate group?".. response.. "I've done several drag events before.. I'm no newbie to racing."

You need a SNELL certified helmet. SA rating is preferred, but most open track event will allow M rated ones too. get a full faced one because some allow open face, some don't.. better to have one that is allowed at all.

Have fun.. that's why you attend.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:09 AM
Ctrld-Kaos
i need a wrench wench

Originally Posted by syclone
rules and reg varies from host to host.. but learn the flags..
-Blue flag: it's a passing flag.. if it's waved at you, there's a faster animal wanting to get by you.. slowly move out of the way to let him pass.
-Yellow flag: caution.. someone or something is messed up.. don't drive all out, slow down near the flagged area. NO passing during caution.
-Reg flag: track is halted.. track session is over due to unforseen circumstances.
-Black flag: you screwed up. reduce your speed and go into the pits. they're going to yell at you.
-White flag: one lap left
-Checkered flag: it's over dammit, get off the track.

your car must past technical inspection.. working brakes with pad life still decent. battery must be tied down securely.. mostly safety stuff.

most events seperate the run groups by experience levels.. they have a beginners class with instructors. do NOT go into intermediate just because you THINK you're good. here was one of the responses i heard when they pulled one driver off course due to uncontrolled driving.. "Have you done this before??".. response.."No".. "Then why are you in the intermediate group?".. response.. "I've done several drag events before.. I'm no newbie to racing."

You need a SNELL certified helmet. SA rating is preferred, but most open track event will allow M rated ones too. get a full faced one because some allow open face, some don't.. better to have one that is allowed at all.

Have fun.. that's why you attend.

Thanx for the great info, you've been a great help =).
Old 11-09-2005, 05:22 PM
tegbooster
Resident Ninja-photo'er

haha i used to work at this go-kart racing place in so-cal called dromo-1....i didn't realize the flags we were using were all the official colors....and yes...black means ur gettin yelled at for f*cking up