Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

Spoiler for road racing on Honda's

Old 09-18-2002, 03:02 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by D16ROCKET
I am surprised that nobody has tried to market a Civic bolt on under-carriage windage tray yet. You know, a big ass plate that bolts to the bottom of your car and lets next to zero turbulence develop under the car. If it works for Michael Schumacher, why not for a Honda Civic.

(That last line is a joke by the way..........kinda)
Already in the works I found some aluminum sheet metal now I need to find the time
Old 09-18-2002, 06:01 AM
qtiger

Originally posted by D16ROCKET
I am surprised that nobody has tried to market a Civic bolt on under-carriage windage tray yet. You know, a big ass plate that bolts to the bottom of your car and lets next to zero turbulence develop under the car. If it works for Michael Schumacher, why not for a Honda Civic.
There's a couple of Integras with them, but so far its still a custom job.
Old 09-18-2002, 11:36 AM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by CivicSiRacer

Already in the works I found some aluminum sheet metal now I need to find the time
let us know how it works out.
Old 09-19-2002, 04:48 AM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

LOL I was actually thinking of making a sheet metal skid plate for my car but mostly to protect things from getting scraped, but if it's aerodynamic why not!
Old 09-20-2002, 05:55 PM
Weston

I put a Type-R wing on my previously wingless Integra and it makes a difference on the highway. The back end feels a little lower and the car feels like it hugs the road more. But, it's not a huge difference, and it's certainly not something that the car had a need for. I've had it up to 130, both with and without the wing, and it rode really nice and smooth both times. I can't honestly say that I remember any difference. At highway speeds that I drive every day, such as 80, I noticed the difference at first, but I quickly got used to it.

I bought it because I liked how it looked. Sure, it has a mild performance benefit, but I'm not going to BS you and try to say I bought it for performance like the riceboys with the giant obnoxious wings will. I figured that a wing designed by Honda for the Integra's high performance model wouldn't have undesirable results, and I was right. Different wings and different cars may be another story. I know a guy that put a Supra wing on a Cavalier. We call it a shopping cart because the wing is about as high as the roof of the car. And go figure, he's convinced that wings don't make any performance improvement at all, because his doesn't.

Who knows, maybe my wing is helping holding the back end down around turns as well. I have no proof one way or another, so I'm not going to try to say that it does or doesn't. In any case, it's there because I like how it looks. It's hardly an essential performance mod.

I know there's plenty of crackpots that are either strongly for or against it, but I've yet to come across one of them that has any actual understanding of physics at all. Besides, who cares... it's your car, don't let other people tell you what to do with it.
Old 09-23-2002, 07:28 AM
DakarM

I'm getting a weird sense of deja vu. We've had someone post almost the exact same thing regarding rear wings and fwd.

Any ways, I would go with a front spliter and rear diffuser instead of a wing but that's just me. Even for my car I've yet to find a rear diffuser that looks like it will do anything. Front spliters are common but I guess rear diffusers don't sell that well.
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 10-05-2002, 08:47 PM
VTEC

Actually, "turbulence" doesn't lift an aircraft. The airflow over an airplane wing is generally laminar. Turbulent air comes from delamination of the airflow over a surface. Of course, I'm using turbulence in a broad, general way.

Now, some spoilers change the point of delamination from the car's rear end. This is more of a drag-reducing than downforce-producing exercise.

The Civic VX had undertrays, but it's for smoothing the airflow underneath the car. Whether this also produces downforce is a big question. Without wind tunnel or CAD modeling, we can't really know, unless those involved in designing the Civic VX come forward and put this to rest.

But in the end, the results are very hard to quantify. Our cars don't really go fast enough in a corner for aerodynamic aids to be of significant benefit. Of course, race cars (such as Grand Am Cup) are lighter than street cars, and every little 1/100th of a second helps.
Old 10-06-2002, 08:54 PM
Shingoblade-GSR
Hellsing Agency

As for front splitters/rear diffusers, there is a guy selling a custom made Integra front splitter + undertray over on honda-tech. It's the only functional splitter/undertray I know of for DC2 Integras. I have yet to see a functional rear diffuser (minus the hole-in-rear-bumper drag race style).

Shingo
Old 10-06-2002, 09:16 PM
qtiger

Side note/update: Realtime's RSX has a wing.