Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

New to Autocross

Old 11-27-2004, 09:41 AM
carrnut21
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Autocross

I was thinking of getting into autocross because i think that it will be cheap and lots of fun. I need an autocross car i have it narrowed down to three choices. I always loved the 90-91 CRX Si, because i know that i could get one for fairly cheap, and they are reasonably quick. I also thought a 93-07 Prelude with the 190 Horsepower engine would be good, because it is faster than the CRX and i have heard that it is one of the better handling front drive cars. I know everybody loves the early 90's Nissan 240s, and being rear wheel drive, they might be more fun and handle better. I would love to hear some input before i make a decision. Also, if there are better cars for similar or less money, please tell me because i want to have as much fun as possible.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:54 AM
axemansean

CRX and 240 are both light and good platforms IMHO.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:16 PM
ED9man
driver

CRX motors are a dime a dozen too if you blow it up.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:23 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

The 240sx is overweight and underpowered. The CRX used to be top dog in GS but not with the Mini S in it and now the Mini Cooper Works package is legal for GS.

**EDIT** also your first year or two autocrossing whatever car you drive will not be competitive. Ask the stuck-up Ferrari driver who showed up to a Philly event how he did his first time I tried talking to the guy and he was just rude and stuck on himself saying stuff like "Ha! you drive a Honda."

I think it was my 3rd or 4th year autocrossing and I killed his time by about 10-15 seconds on that course. I thought that was fairly funny.

I remember my 1st year autocrossing and a stock Subaru Legacy GT station wagon (on R tires) KILLED me by about 15 seconds in my tricked out Civic. I was flabbergasted.

So any car you pick will be fine. I've seen everything from a Yugo to a Geo Metro and a Dodge Viper run. Your 1st year or 2 will be a learning experience. Get as much seat time as you can. And don't be afraid to ask for help - as most of us love helping out the new guys get acquianted with the sport. Don't even mod your car because it will just be wasted money. And a street setup will give better feedback than a racing setup and there are less variables you can blame on how you drive (good or bad).

Last edited by CivicSiRacer; 11-27-2004 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-27-2004, 02:07 PM
XCM828
stay off of wet roads

Originally Posted by CivicSiRacer
The 240sx is overweight and underpowered. The CRX used to be top dog in GS but not with the Mini S in it and now the Mini Cooper Works package is legal for GS.
I'm takin her down to the track once i get the john cooper works tuning kit. Should be very interesting :naughty: :bigok:
www.dincoinc.com/Pics/Mini Pic 1.jpg
Old 11-27-2004, 02:17 PM
axemansean

Originally Posted by CivicSiRacer

**EDIT** also your first year or two autocrossing whatever car you drive will not be competitive. Ask the stuck-up Ferrari driver who showed up to a Philly event how he did his first time I tried talking to the guy and he was just rude and stuck on himself saying stuff like "Ha! you drive a Honda."

I think it was my 3rd or 4th year autocrossing and I killed his time by about 10-15 seconds on that course. I thought that was fairly funny.

I remember my 1st year autocrossing and a stock Subaru Legacy GT station wagon (on R tires) KILLED me by about 15 seconds in my tricked out Civic. I was flabbergasted.

So any car you pick will be fine. I've seen everything from a Yugo to a Geo Metro and a Dodge Viper run. Your 1st year or 2 will be a learning experience. Get as much seat time as you can. And don't be afraid to ask for help - as most of us love helping out the new guys get acquianted with the sport. Don't even mod your car because it will just be wasted money. And a street setup will give better feedback than a racing setup and there are less variables you can blame on how you drive (good or bad).
Preach on great one!!!

Just as Mike said, take what you have and get as much seat time as you can.