Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

what mods for a beginning autoXer?

Old 06-05-2004, 11:53 AM
LudeRage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what mods for a beginning autoXer?

Hey guys. I've always wanted to try Autocrossing and am thinking about transferring from drag racing to AutoX. I'll probably end up selling my nitrous kit for some stuff for AutoX.

Anyways, I have I/H/E,short shifter, clutch and flywheel, and am lowered on Koni Yellows/Ground Controls. I have 14 inch del sol wheels with Azenis on them now. I'll probably get some 15 by 7's and Azenis, and a rear sway bar.

I'm honestly not sure at all as to what mods, suspension or otherwise, I should look at getting if I want to get into AutoX. Also, is there anything engine wise that would knock me out of an amateur class?

Please, any comments or advice for AutoX or modifications for it are welcome!
Thanks!

-Mike
Old 06-05-2004, 04:32 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

when first starting off the biggest modification you can make is the driver...leave the car stock and keep it that way for a while (at least your first 5 events)...the advantage of doing this is that your car remains the same allowing you to focus on your driving...you will be amazed at how your driving will get better making you faster all without having to modify the car

modifying your car changes the balance, etc. and if you don't know how to tune your suspension or engine (creating a good harmony) then it makes it even harder...mix this with you on a learning curve for driving skill makes learning all the harder on each subject...just focus on yourself for now then maybe start working on engine or suspension
Old 06-05-2004, 08:59 PM
LudeRage

My car isn't stock...I already have bolt ons and clutch, and springs/shocks. I was asking what I should get after this, such as rear sway bar, etc.
Old 06-05-2004, 09:13 PM
FA9S8U

you should get an internet search....learn what everything does and why you need it, what you can buy is endless, what will work is all up to you, everything has a purpose it's more of what you want more oversteer, more understeer look at it this way otherwise your just buying a bunch of metal
Old 06-05-2004, 09:28 PM
DakarM

Originally Posted by LudeRage
My car isn't stock...I already have bolt ons and clutch, and springs/shocks. I was asking what I should get after this, such as rear sway bar, etc.

And the advice given to you is that you need to work on yourself. With the mods you currently have you are bumped up to a pretty high class. You will not be competitive in that class at all. I don't remember if headers were allowed in stock class. I don't believe they are allowed. Also the light weight flywheel may not be allowed.

If anything I would put the car back to stock or to conform with stock class rules and start working on your driving.

Autox is 90% driver.
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 06-06-2004, 02:35 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

You are already in SM which is the money class. The most important mod (we sound like a broken record cause we know what we are talkimg about) is modding the driver. A typical novice will always drive the car way past what the car is capable of about 12/10ths, whereas a veteran driver will always have the car on the edge at 9/10ths or 10/10th (at the limit), which is always faster than someone who is not smooth.

Spend $1000 on a nice coilover system and you might go .5-1 second faster on a 60 second course. Spend $50 on a novice autocross school or $200 on an Evolution School and shave off about 4-8 seconds on the same course.

Street Mod is street legal cars. You can do any bolt ons, engine swaps, turbos, superchargers, suspension, DOT R tires, blah blah.

Plus autocross is all about seat time, the more you get the faster you will be.