Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Final Fantasy 7: The movie???

Old 10-04-2003, 01:42 PM
jlammy
w00t

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Final Fantasy 7: The movie???

I found this here

http://www.gamespot.com/ps/rpg/final...s_6076405.html

The first news of Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, an upcoming CG movie using characters from the franchise's first appearance, was revealed at a Square Enix press conference during the most recent Tokyo Game Show.

This week, additional information on the game was publicized.

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children will take place two years after the original PlayStation Final Fantasy VII game. The world looks to be peaceful, having avoided destruction, but inhabitants have begun suffering a new physical malaise called Seikon-Shoukougun.

Cloud has been living alone up to this point. While Sephiroth was seen in promotional footage at the Tokyo Game Show, it is not known if he has been resurrected or if his appearance was a dramatization from Cloud's past.

Two mysterious characters are seen in Advent Children--one is a gray-haired man in a tight black costume (actually seen fighting duels with Cloud during various promotional events at TGS). Another mysterious character is covered in white linen from head to toe, seen sitting in a wheelchair. No hints have been given as to who this character is.

The game's creative staff is listed as the following:

Director: Tetsuya Nomura (Final Fantasy VII character designer, Kingdom Hearts director)
Co-Director: Takeshi Nozue (Final Fantasy IX CG designer, Final Fantasy X animation director)
Producer: Yoshinori Kitase (Final Fantasy X director)
Co-Producer: Shinji Hashimoto (Final Fantasy VIII producer)
Script Writer: Kazunari Nojima (Final Fantasy X script writer)
Art Director: Yusuke Naora (Final Fantasy X art director)
Music Composition: Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantasy series music composer)
Mech and Creature Design: Takayuki Takeya (Anime "Heat Guy J" mech designer, freelance figure artist)

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children is scheduled for release in the summer of 2004.

By Staff, GameSpot [POSTED: 10/03/03 05:10 PM]

Team B.O.B.™ - Ballaz on a Budget

R.I.P Huan Vo 11-19-2008
Old 10-04-2003, 01:44 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Yeah... I'm curious to see, but after FF: Spirits Within... I'm very skeptical

***edit: But at least Uematsu's doing the music!!! w00t
Old 10-04-2003, 01:47 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

I really can't follow all the Final Fantasy stuff but I guess the plot lines are kind of like a video game equivalent to anime or something? And each game is a whole new thing with no relation to the previous one?

Oh well...they shouldn't make a movie for wide release because the first one freaking bombed. Video game movies don't do well, and all the assorted CGI movies which have done well (Toy Story, Shrek, etc) did so not only because of the fact that they were CGI but because they were also good movies. Nobody in mainstream-land knows what the hell this anime shit is even talking about.
Old 10-04-2003, 02:01 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Originally posted by MrFatBooty
I really can't follow all the Final Fantasy stuff but I guess the plot lines are kind of like a video game equivalent to anime or something? And each game is a whole new thing with no relation to the previous one?

Oh well...they shouldn't make a movie for wide release because the first one freaking bombed. Video game movies don't do well, and all the assorted CGI movies which have done well (Toy Story, Shrek, etc) did so not only because of the fact that they were CGI but because they were also good movies. Nobody in mainstream-land knows what the hell this anime shit is even talking about.
The story I heard behind Final Fantasy was that one day, Square told a game director that he was going to make one last video game, then they were gonna lay him off... so he made his "Final Fantasy"... anyways, so it took off as one of the biggest game franchises ever (Plus he got to keep his job), and the premise of each game is that a set of heros go out and eliminate THE evil, and thus allow peace and stability forever... Thus, each Final Fantasy was seperate, because on the ultimate evil for that world had been defeated in the game proceeding.

The only true "repeating" concepts have been the presence of certain animals, such as Chocobos and Tonberries, certain basics in the spell system like "Fire" and "Haste", and there's always been a guy named Cid in every Final Fantasy.

The only thing that made FF The movie a Final Fantasy the presence of a guy named Cid, and the FFVII concept of the world containing an ocean of energy below the surface. The could have named it "The Best Fucking CG Ever!" and it would have done better... Fans hated it cause it was not a FF, and everyone else thought their confusion over the movie was lack of knowledge about the video game... when it was actually just horribly shitty writing.

Though, in America, Final Fantasy is still the shit when it comes to story based RPGs... In japan it's a fight between FF and the Dragon Quest series.

FFs usually have good stories and a compelling battle system, but over the last year the Xenogears/Xenosaga storyline has become my fav...

...though I'm totally whoring myself over this copy of Final Fantasy Tactics: Advance... probably one of the best new game purchases I've ever made...

***Clif's Notes: I think Final Fantasy's kick ass, as I am a complete nerd, but they're really not as great as some people make them to be... and the movie sucked ass regardless if you were a FF fan or not...
Old 10-04-2003, 02:27 PM
jlammy
w00t

Thank you....I can tell you're a fan

Yeah, the movie wasn't all that great because of poor story telling. However, you cannot discount the fact that it was one bad ass CGI movie.

The CGI movie I am talking about is actually based on a game. Some would say that FF VII turned FF into the mainstream gamers. I don't give a shit...I just think it was a cool FF game since it was the first PS1 FF game....eheheh

I am very excited to play FF X-2 and to watch the FF VII movie. I also heard a rumor that they will make FF VII-2 as well...but who knows?

Team B.O.B.™ - Ballaz on a Budget

R.I.P Huan Vo 11-19-2008
Old 10-04-2003, 02:36 PM
EliteAccord
Banned

I'm a Final Fantasy Fan, but I believe the OG FF with its deeper character emphasis and extra side activities such as Celes Opera House is alot better then this new FF where its more show then go.