Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Imagine this

Old 10-03-2003, 12:04 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Imagine this

Originally posted by Moto's Girl
This was sent to me by my father in New York. He is a business man and earned it the "right way" through hard work, determination, patience, and most of all respect.

He sends me this because he doesn't want me to get off track and to remember what I went through growing up since he missed it all!!

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in
the 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's or even the early 80's, probably shouldn't have
survived.

Our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paint.

We had no childproof lids or locks on medicine bottles, doors, or cabinets, and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets.

Not to mention the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.
Riding in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle. Horrors!

We ate cupcakes, bread and butter, and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually died from this.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then rode down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the street lights came on. No one was able to reach us all day. No cell phones. Unthinkable!

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo 64, X-Boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, video tape movies, surround sound, personal cell phones, personal computers, or Internet chat rooms.

WE HAD FRIENDS! WE WENT OUTSIDE AND FOUND THEM.

We played dodge ball, and sometimes, the ball would really hurt.

We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits from these accidents. They were accidents. No one was to blame but us. Remember accidents?

We had fights and punched each other and got black and blue and learned to get over it.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out any eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's home and knocked on the door, or rang the bell or just walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.

Some students weren't as smart as others, so they failed a grade and were held back to repeat the same grade.

Horrors!

Tests were not adjusted for any reason.

Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected.

The idea of parents bailing us out if we got in trouble in school or
broke a law was unheard of. They actually sided with the school or the law. Imagine that!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers, and inventors, ever.

We had freedom, failure, success, and responsibility --- and we learned how to deal with it.

And you're one of them!
Congratulations.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:06 PM
Derek
you motorboatin' s.o.b.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

born in '81 :irock:
Old 10-03-2003, 12:07 PM
dom93hatch
more meat, more fire

Thank god I'm old enough to remember that. Good times...
Old 10-03-2003, 12:13 PM
SUPER LAUBO
KiMBO's Hubby

79' baby.. whoo hooo, i'm just worried about my kids.. :ugh:
Old 10-03-2003, 12:18 PM
DakarM

73'

and it's a lot worse in SouthKorea. For example the room (yes we only had one room that we rented) was heated by coals. Yes coals that give off toxic fumes when burned. A small leak is all that is required. I would hear about some family that died due to carbon monoxide at least 2 or 3 times a week.

My toilet was an outhouse that was about 10feet from the room itself. Countless people fall in and sometimes they drown :ugh:

I have more but I don't want to recount those times.
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:48 PM
b00gers

the future will be interesting. im guessing a lot of motivationally challenged fat people who will find everything offending.

edited h:

im not going to edit fat because....

"You probably noticed, elsewhere I used the word fat. I used that word because that's what fat people are. They're fat. They're not large; they're not stout, chunky, hefty, or plump. And they're not big-boned. Dinosaurs are big-boned. These people are not necessarily obese, either. Obese is a medical term. And they're not overweight. Overweight implies there is some correct weight. There is no correct weight. Heavy is also a misleading term. An aircraft carrier is heavy; it's not fat. Only people are fat, and that's what fat people are. They're fat. I offer no apology for this. It is not intended as criticism or insult. It is simply descriptive language. I don't like euphemisms. Euphemisms are a form of lying. Fat people are not gravitationally disadvantaged. They're fat. I prefer seeing things the way they are, not the way some people wish they were."

george carlin.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:49 PM
DakarM

Originally posted by WiLL
the future will be interesting. im guessing a lot of lazy fat people who will find everything offending.
i take offense to lazy h:

motivationally challenged is what we prefer
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:50 PM
TeggerLS

Nature is coming for us. We're too smart for our own good.:nervous:
Old 10-03-2003, 01:02 PM
Hans Stoner
pimpin' south jersey

Originally posted by SUPER LAUBO
79' baby..
Old 10-03-2003, 01:02 PM
b00gers