Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

linux sux!

Old 10-02-2003, 08:31 PM
civic2k2grl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default linux sux!

i hate that operating system!...my teacher is mean and he wont let us use the gui anymore... anyone know linux?..hav eany hints?
Old 10-02-2003, 08:32 PM
axemansean

Default Re: linux sux!

Originally posted by civic2k2grl
i hate that operating system!...my teacher is mean and he wont let us use the gui anymore... anyone know linux?..hav eany hints?
:slap:

Linux is the bestest.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:36 PM
axemansean

http://www.linuxhelp.co.za/
Old 10-02-2003, 08:43 PM
civic2k2grl

ahh thank you!@
Old 10-02-2003, 08:49 PM
axemansean

No problemo.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:54 PM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

Default Re: linux sux!

You don't learn how to make/fix/or understand a car by looking at just the ad's for them in a magazine.

You need to get down to the nitty gritty and open things up and deal with it.

Linux only "sucks" to you cause you probably don't understand it and are completely lost. So it's not that linux sucks, right now just your understanding of it sucks. Which, don't get me wrong, it's not always easy.. but it's also diffrent and don't expect to be able to do everything you need to do in the GUI.

Learn the command line and learn it well... and you'll soon find out how bulky and slow and useless a GUI can be.

Oh... and if you're using something like Red Hat or Mandrake... don't judge linux as a whole on just those. Linux is much more. That's like saying Goodyear tires suck and all you've ever ridden is a Schwinn.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:55 PM
civic2k2grl

Default Re: Re: linux sux!

Originally posted by clickwir
You don't learn how to make/fix/or understand a car by looking at just the ad's for them in a magazine.

Linux only "sucks" to you cause you probably don't understand it and are completely lost. So it's not that linux sucks, right now just your understanding of it sucks. Which, don't get me wrong, it's not always easy.. but it's also diffrent and don't expect to be able to do everything you need to do in the GUI.

Learn the command line and learn it well... and you'll soon find out how bulky and slow and useless a GUI can be.

Oh... and if you're using something like Red Hat or Mandrake... don't judge linux as a whole on just those. Linux is much more. That's like saying Goodyear tires suck and all you've ever ridden is a Schwinn.
well my problem is the stuff we are learning in class isnt enuf for me i wanna do networking and really get into it but noone knows how to do it..nor will take the time to teach me
Old 10-02-2003, 08:56 PM
axemansean

Default Re: Re: linux sux!

Originally posted by clickwir

Geek... but its pretty much the truth. Command line is the way to go. Only reason I still use Windows is because I haven't found a Linux compatible PIC programmer.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:57 PM
axemansean

Default Re: Re: Re: linux sux!

well my problem is the stuff we are learning in class isnt enuf for me i wanna do networking and really get into it but noone knows how to do it..nor will take the time to teach me
Buy the book Interprocess communications in Unix - the nooks and crannies by Gray its a very well written book.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:57 PM
civic2k2grl

Default Re: Re: Re: linux sux!

Originally posted by axemansean
Geek... but its pretty much the truth. Command line is the way to go. Only reason I still use Windows is because I haven't found a Linux compatible PIC programmer.
oddly enuf everyone else in my class gets the gui but me...im strictly on command prompt