Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

The Car Culture-

Old 09-26-2003, 12:41 PM
Samson
chris is the devil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Car Culture-

What is it that makes car's so "magnetic." Why are Americans so obsessed with cars? What are some classifications that make Americans so attached to their cars and keep wanting new cars all the time... even leasing cars that people can't afford....

People like us... mostly Honda/Acura... why are you so attached to your cars? what made you this way? Style? Status?

i think it has to do with the transportation in the US.. its obviously built around cars.... and the fact that other countries have a variety of other means for transportation, such as Trains, busses, subways etc...

What do you guys think? Whats the obsession?
Old 09-26-2003, 12:43 PM
evolution
早晨好, 先生們!™ 粉腸+ 春袋

machines
speed
looks

like why did rich people back in the day like horses...
Old 09-26-2003, 12:44 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

Well in America cars are seen as status symbols. Thats why people in the ghetto buy Jaguars and Benzes and have them sit outside of their shitty house for a month until they can't make payments and they get repoed. If this was Europe people would just give little 1 liter shitboxes and not give a crap.
Old 09-26-2003, 12:45 PM
DakarM

Americans obessesion with cars comes from the fact that we have plenty of land and cheap gas.

I'm not attracted to any one specific make. I'm attracted to good performing well built nice looking ( in my eyes) cars.

Other countries have better public transportation because #1 they are smaller and #2 price of gas and also price of getting a drivers license #3 ownership of a car is expensive, etc. Thus the government needs to provide for a way for people who can't afford cars to move about.
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 09-26-2003, 12:47 PM
Just Janna
Cake or Death?

Isn't it kind of silly to say that it's just America that's obsessed with cars... since the most coveted cars are forign?
Old 09-26-2003, 12:47 PM
DakarM

Originally posted by FourthGenHatch
Well in America cars are seen as status symbols. Thats why people in the ghetto buy Jaguars and Benzes and have them sit outside of their shitty house for a month until they can't make payments and they get repoed. If this was Europe people would just give little 1 liter shitboxes and not give a crap.

I wouldn't say that is only true in America.

Cars like MB/BMWs etc are also seen as status symbols. More so in europe/asia where they cost significantly more to buy/own.
LCD Squad #0001
Old 09-26-2003, 12:48 PM
Just Janna
Cake or Death?

^ GMTA
Old 09-26-2003, 12:49 PM
DakarM

Originally posted by EriksShadow
Isn't it kinda of silly to say that it's just America that's obsessed with cars... since the most coveted cars are forign?

I agree. There will be people obsessed with cars no matter where you go. The degree of obsession and the cars will vary.
LCD Squad #0001
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

Yeah but as a whole Europe drives me sensible cars than we do in America. And "What about Ferrari?" and shit like that doesn't count cuz seriously how many people actually have one of those.
HawtPants
the one and only

americans spend lots of time in their cars so its logical to invest a lot of monies into it.

like in other metropolitan cities where no one has a car people like designer italian clothes. kinda like souping up your car but you soup up your fits :eek3: