Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Need some help, I need to like clay

Old 08-19-2003, 05:55 AM
lkailburn
college kid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help, I need to like clay

I have an up and coming project for the winter, but to do it, i need some type of clay, like maybe a 2 part thing to mix up, that will be like playdough and able to shape. but then i need it to dry and harden up and yet still be very light weight. the light weight is important. does anyone have anyideas? i would really appreciate it
thanks
Luke
Old 08-19-2003, 06:10 AM
Just Janna
Cake or Death?

How light weight? Because you can get self hardening clay which isn't TOO heavy. I use a 4lb box of Claystone Grey for my sculptures. What type of progect is it going to be... because there's stuff like foam you can sculpt... takes a little more patience then regular clay.
Old 08-19-2003, 06:12 AM
lkailburn
college kid

as light weight as possible. like ounces light. which is why i'm afraid i wont' find anything. the foam sounds intriguing, what do you know about that
Old 08-19-2003, 06:12 AM
lkailburn
college kid

btw, i kinda want to keep the project hush hush, but if i complete it, i will whore pics on here. lol
Old 08-19-2003, 06:13 AM
Just Janna
Cake or Death?

Also.. plaster as well. (Comes in bundles that looks like the stuff they make casts out of) That's nice and light.. and fairly easy once you get the hang of it. You can start out with a basic wire "skeleton" and form around that. I make masks out of that, sculpting right on a human face.. stuff... so... it's fairly light.
Old 08-19-2003, 06:14 AM
Just Janna
Cake or Death?

Crayola makes the foam.. but it's tedious. Getting it to exactly the right shape... it's spongey.. so it shrinks back to normal.. and isn't always the exact shape you want. But.. once you get the hang of it... you can get it to do what you want.
Old 08-19-2003, 06:17 AM
lkailburn
college kid

well, i have something that i will cover first, then mold this clay onto, so i have the exact right impression on one side, then i will be doing more on the front. i need to sculpt it onto this peice i have so i can get the right shape for the back so it fits. do you sorta understand?
Old 08-19-2003, 06:18 AM
lkailburn
college kid

then when the clay dries, i will remove it, and continue my project
Old 08-19-2003, 06:21 AM
Just Janna
Cake or Death?

I think so... your best bet MAY be the gauze stuff. (Plaster cast) You wet it... and lay it on top of something.. and just sculpt to form while it's wet. It's KINDA like papier mache'. I'd also recommend practicing with it if you haven't used it before. This stuff can be smoothed with sandpaper once it's completly dry.. then painted...