Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Occupy "your city"....... thought?

Old 11-19-2011, 11:16 PM
azn_redneck
Live Free Or Die

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you take out large sums of money to get a degree in basket weaving and can't find a high paying job and are unwilling to work at Starbucks, why the hell am I responsible for your bad decisions? OWS people who demand that taxpayers pay off their student loans because they got a worthless degree and refuse to take an entry level position and work their way up to a higher paying position need to go jump off a frickin bridge. I have two degrees in Civil Engineering (B.S. and M.S.), and I've slightly more than doubled my salary from when I first started out, but it took me 12 years to do so...these losers seem to think they're entitled to large salaries without putting in the effort to work their way higher up the ladder. As far as I'm concerned, they can all starve to death, because I'm not paying more taxes to support a bunch of losers who don't want to work for a living.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:56 AM
Dweezel
d@weezel music

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by azn_redneck
If you take out large sums of money to get a degree in basket weaving and can't find a high paying job and are unwilling to work at Starbucks, why the hell am I responsible for your bad decisions? OWS people who demand that taxpayers pay off their student loans because they got a worthless degree and refuse to take an entry level position and work their way up to a higher paying position need to go jump off a frickin bridge. I have two degrees in Civil Engineering (B.S. and M.S.), and I've slightly more than doubled my salary from when I first started out, but it took me 12 years to do so...these losers seem to think they're entitled to large salaries without putting in the effort to work their way higher up the ladder. As far as I'm concerned, they can all starve to death, because I'm not paying more taxes to support a bunch of losers who don't want to work for a living.
Preach

I have a BS in Finance. I made shit when I graduated but worked my ass off and have nearly tripled my salary in less than 7 years. I have a lot of money in student loans, but I am paying them down. It sucks that I have so much in loans, but education is a privilege and not a right. If I had to do it all over again, I would have gone to trade school at a fraction of the cost and become an electrician
Old 11-20-2011, 05:01 AM
BetterBob
Nobama

Originally Posted by Dweezel
Preach

I have a BS in Finance. I made shit when I graduated but worked my ass off and have nearly tripled my salary in less than 7 years. I have a lot of money in student loans, but I am paying them down. It sucks that I have so much in loans, but education is a privilege and not a right. If I had to do it all over again, I would have gone to trade school at a fraction of the cost and become an electrician
You don't need a trade school to certify. You can apprentice, and with enough hours in residential, commercial, and new construction... you can test out and certify.

However, while doing this, you will not be able to occupy anything except a pair of klines on a wednesday.

Last edited by BetterBob; 11-20-2011 at 05:13 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:37 AM
fathergoat
:3

Originally Posted by BetterBob
Occupy Tarks livingroom!

Shit where you would like.

Someone bring the smack and alcohol, i've done all of mine.

I'll bring the hookers... although i've done all of them too...
Power to the people! I'll probably rape him a few times but it's cool because only a fascist would have the police remove me. And tark want's to fight the man just as much as we do.

occupy #tarksbutt
Old 11-20-2011, 10:01 AM
BetterBob
Nobama

Originally Posted by fathergoat
Power to the people! I'll probably rape him a few times but it's cool because only a fascist would have the police remove me. And tark want's to fight the man just as much as we do.

occupy #tarksbutt
:rofl: :rofl:
Old 11-20-2011, 01:46 PM
RicoD
Pull my finger

Originally Posted by BetterBob
You don't need a trade school to certify. You can apprentice, and with enough hours in residential, commercial, and new construction... you can test out and certify.

However, while doing this, you will not be able to occupy anything except a pair of klines on a wednesday.

And realize that the tools of the trade are expensive as shit so you'll want the tax payers to pay for them jk shit is expensive though h:
Old 11-20-2011, 02:25 PM
k3ifers
k three ifers

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

drove by occupy buffalo today :rofl:

they have their shitty tents wrapped in tarps to try to stay warm. luckily it was in the 50's today, almost 60.

and a sign "we <3 peaceful police" :chuckles:

they wrote a thank you letter to buffalo police for not evicting them.

one fat lady had three bongos in front of her with her kid sitting next to her, i just shook my head at her at the light.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:39 PM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

Turns out we have a chapter of them here ... they are a couple blocks from the capitol and no one really knows they are there. Just looks like a bunch of homeless people in tents and tarps hanging out.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:54 AM
redgoober4life
I eat plastic.

Originally Posted by azn_redneck
I think it's not as simple as people not being employable. There's always going to be people who go to school for things that aren't really employable, but hopefully they have rich parents.

Also, there's always going to be people to complain. I don't think this is a bad thing. It's a part of our democracy. One thing this protest is lacking is a clear message, so a lot of us are left wondering what they're bitching about. Understandably, this is causing people to become frustrated because unfocused anger is destructive.

From my perspective, it is disconcerting for me to raise tuition rates on students who are in the middle of obtaining degrees when those degrees are becoming less valuable (insert various factors here). However, nobody "does" school to students. It's a voluntary act, and if you judge the risks versus the rewards and realize it's not in your favor, get the fuck out and work. An Associates degree in a technical field from a community college still offers a good bang-for-the-buck and their course schedules often allow for somebody to work through school--imagine that....

As an example, tuition at my school was raised by a few hundred dollars between fall and spring semester, 90% of which did not go to the school but rather went to balance the NYS budget (which was fucked over by stupid people in homes they couldn't afford and the greedy people who gave them loans). It took many people by surprise, especially those who work double jobs in summer and part time (or even full time) during the semester to pay for school without accruing debt (or minimal debt). Actually, those who lived off of loans exclusively didn't seem to care...

Last edited by redgoober4life; 11-21-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:12 PM
k3ifers
k three ifers

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

occupy buffalo has now split into TWO separate parks!

the city asked them to move because once it snows, the snow plows are going to blast them with ice and snow, but they refused to move.

now some of them have moved. the original group is pissed, no vote took place

they did get this cool thing though.

next to the teepee :lmao: