Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Lancers suck ass...proof inside

Old 07-07-2003, 07:32 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lancers suck ass...proof inside

This is the funniest shit I have ever seen. Blew many ego's and made many cry! I guess 36K for a Lancer with a small 16G just didn't cut it.

http://www.vishnutuning.com/lancer.htm

After a full week of baseline testing several EVOs, our dyno database grew large enough for us to make some conclusions. First, all the tested EVOs put 180-185 wheel horsepower to the ground. And those horsepower peaks occurred at a low 5500 to 5800 RPM. For comparisons sake, a 2003 WRX generates approximately 155 wheel hp when tested under similar conditions. Assuming the WRX’s horsepower is rated properly by Subaru, we run into a little problem. If the 227HP WRX puts 155 horsepower to the ground, why does the 271HP EVO only put down 180 wheel horsepower? Shouldn’t it be closer to 200 wheel hp considering the factory horsepower rating. Eager to find the answer to our questioned, we turned our attention to the fuel we used for our testing. Operating out of the lovely state of California, the highest octane fuel available is 91 octane. To see how the EVO would react to the higher octane fuel available in most of states, we concocted some 93 octane fuel by mixing our 91 octane fuel with an appropriate amount of 100 race gas. The results were astonishing: A substantial 8-10 wheel hp gain after an ECU rest and several learning runs. In fact, the engine speed at which peak horsepower was generated rose to 6500RPM (just as the factory claims). With such results, one can only assume that Mitsubishi used 93 octane gasoline when making its claims. But that still leaves us with another 10 wheel horsepower than need to be accounted for. There are a few possibilities for accounting for these missing ponies. For one, all the cars we tested had less than 1000 miles on their odometers. With more miles, these motors should “loosen up” and generate slightly more power. Also, it’s important to note that, compared with the WRX that we are using for a benchmark, the EVO’s drivetrain is likely induce considerable more loss due to the transverse layout of the motor. These two issues, combined with a small grain of salt, shed a bit more light upon the situation. So fear not: While us Californians may get the shaft, the rest of the US (at least those that guzzle down 93 octane) are getting close to the power that they expect.

//////////////////////
**Props to Poopcooter for the find
Old 07-07-2003, 07:38 PM
Kevin
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bigger downpipe + better/bigger exhaust pipes = at least 10more hp... :P
everybody knows that
Old 07-07-2003, 07:39 PM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

i work next to Shiv....they have something coming up for the EVO's...just watch.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:40 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Originally posted by Kevin
bigger downpipe + better/bigger exhaust pipes = at least 10more hp... :P
everybody knows that
ahh but we are talking about Mitsis claims on a stock vehicle.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:42 PM
rick
not noob?

this is old news to me but basically there is some speculation that the evo was tuned for the crappy 91 octane CA gas.

also some "press" cars were dynoing at the "correct" whp... so who really knows but Shiv (owner of vishnu) is in contact with Mitsubishi to get at the bottom of things.

Shiv is also the one that found out the 2nd gen Miatas with the 1.8L engines were not indeed putting out 155hp.

so it's actually a good thing IMHO

EDIT: keep in mind he still have a small sample group. I believe less than 10 but one of them put down 189whp with 91octane.

also his dyno is extremely accurate and posts less hp than other dynos, mustang/dynodynamics(sp?), dynopack, etc.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:42 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

Who cares.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:45 PM
Kevin
Banned

Originally posted by Nightshade
ahh but we are talking about Mitsis claims on a stock vehicle.
i think most enthusiasts would know that most claim numbers arent too realistic...

and most mod their awd boosted cars aniway
Old 07-07-2003, 07:49 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Originally posted by Kevin
i think most enthusiasts would know that most claim numbers arent too realistic...

and most mod their awd boosted cars aniway
You are splitting hairs Kev
Old 07-07-2003, 09:17 PM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

also in relation to the testing... the color of the EVO tested was black.... apparently Mitsu used a YELLOW EVO, therefore making up the extra 10HP that was missing on the black one. h:
Old 07-07-2003, 09:19 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Originally posted by clickwir
also in relation to the testing... the color of the EVO tested was black.... apparently Mitsu used a YELLOW EVO, therefore making up the extra 10HP that was missing on the black one. h:
:doh:

I should have known thath: