Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

New network woes......this time it's getting my wireless network running.....help?

Old 07-05-2003, 08:56 PM
rb6teg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New network woes......this time it's getting my wireless network running.....help?

Just bought a Toshiba Laptop and a Linksys wireless network router, plus a wireless card for the laptop. Everything works fine when I plug an actual ethernet cable into the laptop, but when I disconnect it, and the laptop switches over to wireless, I'm not getting an IP address from the router. The laptop connects to the router, but it doesnt obtain an IP from it. I :dunno: what to do.
Old 07-05-2003, 11:17 PM
flipped cracka
BOOM goes the dynamite!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have the laptop to get a dynamic ip, correct? and did you have to configure the router at all? any kind of security on it? i don't have a wireless one yet, so i've never done it, but i know there's different types of security settings.
Old 07-06-2003, 06:06 AM
rb6teg

yes, it's supposed to pick up a dynamic IP. I didn't have to do anything to the router to make it work with my other computers.
Old 07-07-2003, 08:59 AM
sxecrow
Banned

make sure the DHCP client service is running if the laptop is setup to recieve an IP from the router. I personally dont use crap like that. Give me a Linux box and lemme hard code my routing tables and I'm a happy camper.