Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

The Los Angeles Dodgers File for Bankruptcy

Old 06-27-2011, 02:52 PM
hitman619
SDSU Basketball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Los Angeles Dodgers File for Bankruptcy

The Dodgers filed for bankruptcy protection on Monday, a move that owner Frank McCourt said would stabilize the financial future of the team. The move also could extend the battle for ownership of the Dodgers well beyond this season.

McCourt has obtained $150 million in interim financing, according to the court filing in Delaware. If the bankruptcy court approves that financing Tuesday, McCourt would meet Thursday's payroll deadline and could remain in control of the club throughout the bankruptcy proceedings, with the intention of negotiating a television rights deal within 180 days that would satisfy the court by paying off all creditors in full.

Major League Baseball is expected to challenge McCourt's move at Tuesday's hearing in Delaware, where McCourt will seek approval of about $40 million in funding to pay current and deferred salary obligations.

"The action taken today by Mr. McCourt does nothing but inflict further harm to this historic franchise," Commissioner Bud Selig said in a statement.

Under the MLB constitution, the act of filing for bankruptcy enables the commissioner to strip McCourt of ownership. But bankruptcy court proceedings generally override MLB rules. If McCourt secures a favorable decision, he could keep the team and attempt to secure a lucrative, long-term television contract that would allow him to pay his bills.

"You've got an interesting clash — league dominance versus the bankruptcy court, which has a broader mandate," said Thomas Salerno, the lead attorney for the NHL's Phoenix Coyotes in that team's bankruptcy case.

In that case, a bankruptcy judge sided with the NHL and rejected a bid that would have resulted in the Coyotes' moving to Canada. But Salerno said that decision would not be binding upon the judge in the Dodgers' case and might not even be all that relevant.

"I don't think the Coyotes' precedent is really that strong," Salerno said.

Manny Ramirez is the Dodgers' largest creditor, according to the bankruptcy filing. The Dodgers owe their former left fielder $21 million, followed by New York Yankees outfielder Andruw Jones ($11 million), Dodgers pitcher Hiroki Kuroda ($4.5 million) and shortstop Rafael Furcal ($3.7 million), and the Chicago White Sox ($3.5 million, for outfielder Juan Pierre).

The list of creditors also includes much of the current Dodgers roster, Hall of Fame broadcaster Vin Scully ($152,778), the city of Los Angeles ($240,563 in tax debt), and two players yet to play for the Dodgers (prospects Zach Lee at $3.4 million and Alexander Santana at $499,500).

In their bankruptcy filing, the Dodgers said they owed almost $40 million this week alone, including $20 million in current and deferred salaries and $18.7 million to fund future deferred payments, in accordance with baseball's collective bargaining agreement.

In his statement, Selig said the Dodgers' financial woes were "caused by Mr. McCourt's excessive debt and his diversion of club assets for his own personal needs. We have consistently communicated to Mr. McCourt that any potential solution to his problems that contemplates mortgaging the future of the Dodgers franchise to the long-term detriment of the club, its loyal fans and the game of baseball would not be acceptable."

The Dodgers intend to hold a "competitive sale process" to secure a new cable television contract within 180 days, according to the team's bankruptcy filing.

The Dodgers' current contract with Fox extends through 2013 and forbids the team from negotiating with any other entity before Nov. 30, 2012, according to the filing.

Selig last week rejected a proposed new contract with Fox, so the Dodgers have asked the bankruptcy court to consider an auction. Time Warner Cable's new Lakers channel would be a likely bidder, which could force Fox to choose between joining MLB in opposing an auction and risking the loss of a valuable television property.

MLB claims approval rights for all television contracts. McCourt is asking a bankruptcy judge to impose a new television contract, overriding MLB in the interest of ensuring that creditors get paid.

The Dodgers have agreed to pay at least 10% interest on the $150 million interim financing loan, which was obtained from Highbridge Principal Strategies of New York, which is affiliated with JP Morgan and Chase. The Dodgers also agreed to pay a deferred fee of $4.5 million.

In a statement issued on McCourt's behalf, the filing was said to have been done "in order to protect the franchise financially and provide a path that will enable the club to consummate a media transaction and capitalize the team."

In the statement, McCourt cited Selig's refusal to approve a proposed television contract with Fox — one McCourt said could have been worth $3 billion — and said the commissioner had forced the filing by jeopardizing the future of the Dodgers.

Cliffs:
Baseballs 2nd biggest market team claims Bankrutcy:wtf:

Last edited by hitman619; 06-27-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:03 PM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

I bet he loses the team and the new owners rekindle the Fox deal.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:04 PM
JGordon

This whole saga is really interesting to me. The McCourt divorce, the personal loans and possible tax evasions/scandals involved in their ownership, vs. Bud Selig's determination to force McCourt out of baseball... it's just a very interesting drama with high-power people making power plays. I'll probably read the book that comes out about it in 3-5 years.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:39 PM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

baseball is boring ... this fails to alter my opinion of that o:
Old 06-27-2011, 05:52 PM
ShaolinLueb

he lost a multi-billion tv deal i hear. sucks
Old 06-27-2011, 06:26 PM
nevets
WAAAGH!!

hah!
Old 06-27-2011, 06:54 PM
Just Janna
Cake or Death?

Originally Posted by shirley
baseball is boring ... this fails to alter my opinion of that o:
I'm with this mofo.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:47 PM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

In for Shirley said it.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:52 PM
hitman619
SDSU Basketball

Originally Posted by JGordon
This whole saga is really interesting to me. The McCourt divorce, the personal loans and possible tax evasions/scandals involved in their ownership, vs. Bud Selig's determination to force McCourt out of baseball... it's just a very interesting drama with high-power people making power plays. I'll probably read the book that comes out about it in 3-5 years.
Nail+Head
This shit is deeper than baseball
This is billionaires vs. billionaires
Old 06-28-2011, 12:26 AM
airon
AARONNOJIMA.COM

if you follow baseball you knew that it was gonna happen pretty much.

also being a norcal kid f*ck the dodgers, but they are a important part of history and hopefully get stable front office