Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Obama Care/Health Care Bill

Old 06-20-2011, 07:06 AM
hitman619
SDSU Basketball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Obama Care/Health Care Bill

What do you Know about the health Care Bill?

Is it good or Bad for us?

Why Are Republicans so Bent on overturning Health Care Bill ?
Old 06-20-2011, 08:36 AM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think it'll make a bit of difference to me since I can afford health insurance. There were times in my life when I couldn't afford it, and if I were forced to purchase insurance (as I believe this bill does), I would've been broke. I think the main thing republicans object to is the idea that the government is mandating people to do something that ought to be an individual choice and responsibility.

I don't even pretend to understand all the ins and outs of the bill. It sounds tremendously complicated.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:59 AM
b00gers

Originally Posted by white_n_slow

I don't even pretend to understand all the ins and outs of the bill. It sounds tremendously complicated.
Its cool. There are people here that does understand this complicated bill and can provide a non-biased interpretation of it.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:55 AM
Zackk

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

All I know is that it will make my life easier while getting into medical school, and make my life much harder while I'm practicing medicine.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:18 AM
Draconius
BAZINGA!

Originally Posted by b00gers
Its cool. There are people here that does understand this complicated bill and can provide a non-biased interpretation of it.
Non biased...HA!
Old 06-20-2011, 10:48 AM
NOPD
Come in My Hole

Originally Posted by Zackk
All I know is that it will make my life easier while getting into medical school, and make my life much harder while I'm practicing medicine.
troof

I sure as hell don't want obama care
Old 06-20-2011, 11:27 AM
å
åhhhhh

everybody should be entitled to "free" health care... at least at its most basic form...
Old 06-20-2011, 12:09 PM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

SOMETHING has to change. People shouldn't have to go broke because they got sick or hurt. My roommate has no health insurance and got super 3-days-in-the-hospital-sick. I usually check the mail, and he's getting bill after bill after bill. So far, it's up to 14k. He'll either bail on paying it all and have his credit destroyed, or try and get in on a payment plan. For people that don't make a lot of money, your stay in the hospital can really set you back.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:41 PM
JGordon

I know a fair bit about it, as I deal with it occasionally in my day-to-day work and I was getting my Master's in Public Health while it was being passed and it was a hot topic in a lot of a our classes.

Overall, I'm in favor of it. In the interests of full disclosure, I do work for a health insurance company (Kaiser Permanente Colorado) and we obviously stand to benefit from an increase in health insurance enrollments. Anything I say here is solely my views and does not represent my employer in any way.

The good: I think that it will help prevent people from going bankrupt due to medical bills, it will ensure that hospitals get paid for the services they render, and it will help increase the health of our nation. Dave, for people who really can't afford it (i.e those who make up to about 400% of the federal poverty level, currently around $43,000 for a single person), the bill offers a sliding scale of subsidies to help pay for it. The non-partisan Congressional Budget Office has estimated that it will slightly hold back the growth in health care costs (but not by much), and that it won't affect the majority of people's insurance premiums. A minority will see their premiums rise, but often this is a result of the bill requiring a higher "base" level of insurance than some people had, so these increases will also generally provide more services/coverage.

The bad: Even if/when fully implemented it will still leave millions of people uninsured due to exceptions and those who refuse to purchase insurance, though this number will be way less than it would have been without reform. I'm also not a huge fan of fining people who choose to forgo health insurance, but I understand that some mechanism is needed to encourage people to get health insurance. The CBO has also estimated that the bill will have some negative impact on the job market, due to companies being required to offer health insurance and reducing hiring instead. Additionally, while I'm in favor of the bill I'll admit that I don't know if the individual mandate to purchase insurance is constitutional.

Overall, it's very similar to the type of health care reform I would have wanted if I was coming up with my own reform bill. It's a way to get insurance to the masses, but without going for a government-run/single-payer system (a la Canada/UK). This will leave room for private companies to innovate and give consumers choice, hopefully allowing efficient insurers to rise to the top rather than allowing a .gov system to stagnate and bureaucratize.

For a relatively unbiased take on some of the claims coming from either side of the aisle on Health Care Reform, check out http://www.factcheck.org/tag/health-care-reform/. It's a non-partisan public-policy website that double checks a lot of claims and does a good job of tackling rhetoric from both parties.

Last edited by JGordon; 06-20-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:42 PM
BetterBob
Nobama

Originally Posted by Chefboiali
SOMETHING has to change. People shouldn't have to go broke because they got sick or hurt. My roommate has no health insurance and got super 3-days-in-the-hospital-sick. I usually check the mail, and he's getting bill after bill after bill. So far, it's up to 14k. He'll either bail on paying it all and have his credit destroyed, or try and get in on a payment plan. For people that don't make a lot of money, your stay in the hospital can really set you back.
And if you own a home (outright) you should be required to have homeowners insurance, because bad things could happen to your home. And if you have a penis, you should have to have child support insurance, because you could be financially liable for that. If you are married, you should be required to have divorce insurance, as half of your assets are at risk.

Bottom line: Health insurance is availible to limit your liability, if someone doesn't have it, they will still receive medical attention (as stated above).
You make the choice as to whether you want to insure yourself, not the government.