Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

do you feel related to your relatives?

Old 02-21-2011, 12:28 PM
flipped cracka
BOOM goes the dynamite!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default do you feel related to your relatives?

with some of my relatives, i can see traits that we share. others, i have no idea where they came from, or how we're related because everything so different.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:32 PM
CRAIGHIMSELF
Be good

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seriously, great thread topic. Honestly, I am NOTHING alike to my immediate family. I mean nothing. My parents are the exact opposite of me mentally, physically, and emotionally - it's really strange. Am I close with them? Nope. I wish I was though because I tend to crave that normalcy that other familys have. I've noticed that when I date girls/get serious, the first thing I look is a great family life because I think I can get drawn into hers. Is that strange?
Old 02-21-2011, 02:01 PM
Just Janna
Cake or Death?

Not particularly. I've always kind of been the black sheep of the family. I'm also considerably younger than my brother (45) and sister (41) We got along just fine..and have our moments.. but we're not as close as other siblings I've seen. The fact that we have different father's could be a strong factor there, too. We're very different in lots of ways. Especially my brother and I. Total opposites there. Except he and I are also very similar in certain aspects, especially our sense of humor. My mother drives me a little insane. She beats the same miserable drum constantly.. and tends to just change the subject when I try and give her a dose of tough love. We see things very differently in the terms of positive outlook vs. negative outlook. She's very "glass half empty".

Last edited by Just Janna; 02-21-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:17 PM
JGordon

Very similar to my immediate family, and can definitely see some traits in common with my extended family. Some of my cousins though have made some very different life choices than I have, though. I guess I could say the same about my brother, even though we share a nearly identical sense of humor and a lot of the same interests.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:48 PM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

Wow. Best topic in a while. I'll always feel related to my parents, but I know that their brothers and sisters are THEIR family. I've always felt like that. My mother is from Turkey and I've only been there twice. I have cousins on FB that I met when they were babies. lol On my father's side, being that my father is the darkest in the family who married a white woman, I've always felt like this high-yellow oddball that makes every change how they speak when I'm around. I'm no English teacher by any means, but I've felt like the 'educated' uppity kid from Santa Monica when I'm around them. Just tryin to be me. o:

ahhhhhh... Always wanted to spit that Thanks Cracka-ass-Cracka :wavey:
Old 02-21-2011, 02:50 PM
LT
The deer had to die!

Just like Craig basically.

I was never close with my family, even my parents. I can't even say "I love you" to mom my or my sister or anyone else in the family for that matter. Despite them being out there, I'm rather "alone" in terms of family rapport.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:29 PM
dubcac
I

I'm really close with my immediate fam...bro, ma, pa. The rest of my family, not so much. We only saw my aunts/uncles/cousins/grandparents every 5-6 years because they all live in the midwest. They're all super close and see each other all the time, and we're like the west coast outcasts...which is fine with me. I have a couple cousins that I get along really well with and talk to, but that's about it. One that I get along with and his wife just moved to SF, so I'll be able to kick it with them. I get along with all of my fam really well at reunions, but that's about the only time I see/talk to them.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:27 PM
ShaolinLueb

i am close with immediate. all my moms side is in jersey. so i see them once or twice a year. so no. if i lived closer and hung out with them more. maybe. my dads side was in Holland and now back in long beach. i have not seen them since i was 9. only recently linked up with them through face book. never met any of my cousins kids.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:37 PM
LT
The deer had to die!

My mom currently lives 45 minutes from my house. I see her maybe 5 hours/mo and that's on a single day. I see my sister for less than that. I see my one half-brother probably a total of 30 minutes every 180 days; I see my other half-brother probably 1 day out of 3 years. My half-sister is incalculable. Cousins, aunts, uncles, and whatnot....well since my father's death...I haven't seen them either.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:03 PM
Black2KGSR

yes, to immediate and most cousins and aunts and uncles. We hang out together all the time.