Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.
View Poll Results: Affirmative action?
yes
18.18%
no
72.73%
undecided/ no comment
9.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Affirmative action?

Old 05-17-2003, 01:31 AM
brtecson
pukimonster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Affirmative action?

Since Sir Wild Penis' tax thread was hijacked, but interesting nonetheless, so i still want to know what you guys think. Please post your ethnic background and reason why you voted, if you'd like.

edit: the thread i'm referring to is https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...threadid=69821
Old 05-17-2003, 01:34 AM
dom93hatch
more meat, more fire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know what you're talking about. Probably missed the thread.

I'm Asian though. :dunno:
Old 05-17-2003, 03:00 AM
Bl@ck
Sinner

all affirmative action is is just government subsidised discrimination
Old 05-17-2003, 06:54 AM
Tirod

because its the righteous thing to do... if it wasnt for affirmative action.. diversity would start reversing and we would end up how we started... and you can't argue that..
Old 05-17-2003, 06:59 AM
spanky
I go duffy on dem bitches

im white and i think affirmative action is ****ing bullshit. no one should get or not get a job just because of the color of their skin. i'll be damned if i get denied a job when i have more experience and knowledge than someone else just because the company has to reach race quotas.
Old 05-17-2003, 07:06 AM
Shingoblade-GSR
Hellsing Agency

Race-based admissions programs are nothing more than a temporary solution to the vast unequalities in opportunity out there.

Affirmative action right now does discriminate against one group of people: poor whites.

Shingo

ps. If I remember correctly, there haven't been any affirmative action programs for the large majority of asian ethnic groups...
Old 05-17-2003, 07:07 AM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

Affirmative action is dumb, I think jobs and scholarships should go to the people with the most merit, if a black guy gets the job because he was the best candidate than fine, but if he was like choice 8 out of 10 but they still hired him over the 7 other white guys in front of him than that is really stupid.
Old 05-17-2003, 08:34 AM
Bl@ck
Sinner

Originally posted by Tirod˛slc
because its the righteous thing to do... if it wasnt for affirmative action.. diversity would start reversing and we would end up how we started... and you can't argue that..
how is it righteous? to discriminate against group B just because group A was discriminated against?

2 wrongs don't make a right. ....and you CAN'T argue that

i think that your "backward slide" theory is just pure speculation. i believe at this point the majority of the population is educated and at least tolerant of the other cultures that all of us have to coexist with. with all of the politically correctness flying around i would think it impossible, at least on a corporate or educational scale, for this backward slide to occur because it is simply the unpopular thing to do these days and nobody wants their market shares to drop in value or their school to become unpopular with the majority. that's just not the capitalist way.

there will always be the ignorant that fall prey to the disease of racism and/or discrimination on both sides of the racial/ethnic/religious fence, at least in any of our lifetimes we will never see total tolerance and acceptance. granted we have made great advances in those areas over the last 60 years, some grudgingly, but i think that we have reached a plateau and affirmative action at this point causes more animocity toward the racial/ethnic groups than it eliminates. the affirmative action system is antiquated and needs to be removed from our society in my honest opinion.
Old 05-17-2003, 08:43 AM
03accordcoupe
^New car...2003 BMW 330ci

I'm from mixed race...and I'm for it...but if I was white I'm pretty sure I'd probably be against it. I believe Malcolm X was the one who said something along the lines of "If they must make laws saying that we are equal, we will never be equal"
Old 05-17-2003, 09:09 AM
Bl@ck
Sinner

Originally posted by 03accordcoupe
I believe Malcolm X was the one who said something along the lines of "If they must make laws saying that we are equal, we will never be equal"
exactly