Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Looking for some tips..

Old 02-03-2011, 09:20 PM
Just Janna
Cake or Death?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for some tips..

I've only really started getting into FPS games since I got my PS3 a couple years ago.. I feel I've gotten pretty decent and can more or less handle myself quite well on harder and crushing levels of a game's story mode. But I consistently get my ass handed to me in online player sessions. To the point it's just plan frustrating. What things can I concentrate on in order to improve? I adjust things like controller sensitivity and what not and that's improved things a bit.. but.. jeeze I'm just sick of getting slaughtered all the time. Looking for something a bit more detailed then "just keep at it" Or is that all there is? :hsd:
Old 02-03-2011, 09:30 PM
b00gers

just keep at it bro

i just think of it this way...a lot of people who play online play all the time. they are just better find a noob map
Old 02-03-2011, 09:38 PM
Tyler88
sinking steps rising eyes

When I used to play halo 2 and 3 more consistently I found a few different things that helped me improve other than just playing. Communication is everything. Call out call out call out. Especially in team play. Communicate everything that happens it will help both you and you teammates more then you would think. Secondly, know the layouts of maps like the back of your hand. This comes with time, but knowing things like the general area where others will spawn, where enemy bases are is key, weapon/power up spawn locations and time. Also try to play with the same people if you can. This will make it easier to find out your strong points and capitalize on them. It will also make communication easy if you're not playing with a bunch of randoms. Lastly, always play conservatively. Don't do things like run out in the open or charge multiple enemies. Make the enemy make the mistake. It may be fun at times, but very you play better opponents you'll die a lot.

Watch videos of pros playing the games you'll learn a lot.

Hope this helps. Don't ever forget though that there are people that play games way to much (50+ hours a week) so more and likely there will always be someone better.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:39 PM
Just Janna
Cake or Death?

Originally Posted by b00gers
just keep at it bro

i just think of it this way...a lot of people who play online play all the time. they are just better find a noob map

I tend to just let the matchmaking throw me wherever. o:
Old 02-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Just Janna
Cake or Death?

Originally Posted by Tyler88
When I used to play halo 2 and 3 more consistently I found a few different things that helped me improve other than just playing. Communication is everything. Call out call out call out. Especially in team play. Communicate everything that happens it will help both you and you teammates more then you would think. Secondly, know the layouts of maps like the back of your hand. This comes with time, but knowing things like the general area where others will spawn, where enemy bases are is key, weapon/power up spawn locations and time. Also try to play with the same people if you can. This will make it easier to find out your strong points and capitalize on them. It will also make communication easy if you're not playing with a bunch of randoms. Lastly, always play conservatively. Don't do things like run out in the open or charge multiple enemies. Make the enemy make the mistake. It may be fun at times, but very you play better opponents you'll die a lot.

Watch videos of pros playing the games you'll learn a lot.

Hope this helps. Don't ever forget though that there are people that play games way to much (50+ hours a week) so more and likely there will always be someone better.
Finally picked up a communicator a few weeks ago. Was playing the Nazi Zombie bored a few months ago, and this guy and girl were on my team.. and they were going back and forth with each other in French. It was fantastic listening to them when shit started to hit the fan. :rofl: It was too frantic for me to even try picking anything out.

That's one thing I seriously lack on is studying maps. Which doesn't make sense because I do that in RPGs...maybe it's a different mindset to me.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:50 AM
AP2
Moderator Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've wasted too much of my years playing FPSs so I'd love to help you out Janna. I'm no pro-level gamer, but I've ruined a lot of egos and at one point was ranked less than 1000 on MW:2 on Xbox LIVE. Here are some tips that'll get you going:

-Good players have their strategies planned out before the match begins. There's no universal strategy to be the best in every match. Sometimes you have to rush, sometimes you have to stick with your teammates, sometimes you have to (god forbid) camp. Once you find out the opposing team's strategy, you HAVE to adapt.

-Best way to learn a map? Find the competent rusher on your team and simply follow them around. Usually they don't mind because they're too busy trying to outflank the enemy's position.

-If you're comfortable with your shot, use the gun with the shittiest accuracy in your inventory. By doing this, you'll force yourself to aim better instead of jumping into a decent gun off the bat. For example, I used the FAMAS in CoD: BO because its high rate of fire would force me to shoot in bursts. Getting comfortable with this assault rifle made me a much better shot when I got a chance to use the Galil or Commando. On top of this, using SMGs becomes more reasonable. If you have access to a single-fire assault rifle, use that more often and things will get easier

-Always, always, always, be moving. And when I mean moving, I mean use the "RUN" function whenever you can. I may be biased since I'm a rusher 90% of the time, but all classes especially n00bs can benefit from this. Often I see guys moving way too slow which makes it easy for someone to shoot. Never run into the middle of an open area unless you are completely certain the area is clear and free of snipers/douchebag campers

-If the enemy is more than 10 feet away, always always always aim down the sights. If you like using a gun with a high rate of fire, then aim for the center mass (chest area). Never hip fire unless you are fighting in close quarters (room to room, alleyways)

-Teamwork! If all possible, start playing with a bunch of the same players on a regular basis. On a good team, you'll start figuring out what your role on the team is. A typical decent team will be well-rounded with the right amount of rushers, snipers, and conventional assault guys.

That's it for now, I have a lot more insight to share with you but for now I want you to focus on what I've mentioned above. I don't know how your playing style is so feel free to break it down so I can figure out what you can work on. These are pretty broad tips that anyone can benefit on, let me know what specific problems you're having and I'll be happy to help!

Last edited by AP2; 02-04-2011 at 03:52 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:30 AM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

have a strategy for every map . . . couldnt agree more.

running around gunning just doesnt usually work these days for me, i'm more of a tactical mover. cover to cover unless i know i have the advantage

and if you find a gun that works well with you, stick with it. even if people try to tell you other guns are better.... for example, in the COD MW and the black ops i tend to stick to the m16. sure its only 3 burst and not full auto but i've gotten good enough with it i can double tap and move on. i switch over to full auto guns sometimes and i don't play have as good bc all the specs and characteristics change so much.

as a newer player try not to venture off on your own, stick to teammates

and key is to remember, everyones gameplay style is different. what works for one might not work for you so try different tactics and styles and weapons until you find something you can be comfortable with
Old 02-04-2011, 05:37 AM
k3ifers
k three ifers

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

the more you play, the better you get
Old 02-04-2011, 06:06 AM
Draconius
BAZINGA!

I backup everything Chris says. I've played with him a couple times and I learned a lot from following him around. As you learn maps and peoples strategies, anticipate them being around the corner...a lot of times I will rush into a room and "know" someone is there, aim and shoot...if they are there, they lost their advantage...if they aren't you lost 1 bullet...oh well.

Another addage to the "keep moving" is also to keep moving your view area...don't just run straight...run and be looking at usual hot spots.

watch youtube pro videos...I have learned a SHIT TON from watching those.

Also, use your teammates...both good and bad ways. If you have a noob player, follow them with some distance...if they encounter fire, find the direction and go after that guy. 9 times out of 10 he has full focus on the target, and he will be out of bullets. He just gave away his position and all his ammo to take out a noob. Also, it may back him/her up so he/she will live and you just took down a guy.

If you are playing any CoD games use LOW KILL STREAKS! I'm talking spy plane, counter spy plane, and care package. Spy plane and Counter are vital. Use hardline so you get them earlier too.

And lastly...enjoy the game. I admit...I get mad and irritated when things aren't going my way, but I am still having fun.