Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Bill would require all S.D. citizens to buy a gun..

Old 02-01-2011, 09:31 AM
dE.fUsEd
I still like honda's. :-/

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bill would require all S.D. citizens to buy a gun..

Five South Dakota lawmakers have introduced legislation that would require any adult 21 or older to buy a firearm “sufficient to provide for their ordinary self-defense.”

The bill, which would take effect Jan. 1, 2012, would give people six months to acquire a firearm after turning 21. The provision does not apply to people who are barred from owning a firearm.

Nor does the measure specify what type of firearm. Instead, residents would pick one “suitable to their temperament, physical capacity, and preference.”

The measure is known as an act “to provide for an individual mandate to adult citizens to provide for the self defense of themselves and others.”

Rep. Hal Wick, R-Sioux Falls, is sponsoring the bill and knows it will be killed. But he said he is introducing it to prove a point that the federal health care reform mandate passed last year is unconstitutional.

“Do I or the other cosponsors believe that the State of South Dakota can require citizens to buy firearms? Of course not. But at the same time, we do not believe the federal government can order every citizen to buy health insurance,” he said.
http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...tizens-buy-gun

:bowdown:
Old 02-01-2011, 09:37 AM
ShaolinLueb

bad ass. but ugh isn't this unconstitutional? i don't see how it could force you to buy a gun. they going to put the money forth for low income families?
Old 02-01-2011, 09:45 AM
CRAIGHIMSELF
Be good

Retarded ass bill.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

... Brought to you by the lobbyist for Smith & Wesson, Glock, and Colt. o:
Old 02-01-2011, 09:56 AM
DarkStarr
Shake n Bake!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i read the whole thing, then i understood the point o:

Last edited by DarkStarr; 02-01-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:56 AM
Llamaguy

Originally Posted by ShaolinLueb
bad ass. but ugh isn't this unconstitutional? i don't see how it could force you to buy a gun. they going to put the money forth for low income families?
Reading >*
Old 02-01-2011, 10:02 AM
b00gers

Seems like a waste of money and time to prove a point.

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

At first I thought it was San Diego...I said, hecksa no.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:06 AM
JGordon

Would be interesting if this passes. The current challenges to the Health Reform law actually have some bearing on this -- if the courts decide it is unconstitutional for the law to mandate buying insurance, it would also follow that it would be unconstitutional to mandate someone buy a gun. But if they decide the insurance mandate is constitutional, wouldn't a gun ownership mandate also be allowed?

But seriously though, requiring people to own firearms it teh stoopid. If people don't want to own a gun, they are unlikely to spend appropriate time in training or learning safety procedures, and I feel that firearm accidents would go way up.

I also originally thought San Diego based on the thread title, and I was very confused as to why a Cali city would be requiring gun ownership.

Last edited by JGordon; 02-01-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:49 AM
BetterBob
Nobama

Originally Posted by JGordon
Would be interesting if this passes. The current challenges to the Health Reform law actually have some bearing on this -- if the courts decide it is unconstitutional for the law to mandate buying insurance, it would also follow that it would be unconstitutional to mandate someone buy a gun. But if they decide the insurance mandate is constitutional, wouldn't a gun ownership mandate also be allowed?

But seriously though, requiring people to own firearms it teh stoopid. If people don't want to own a gun, they are unlikely to spend appropriate time in training or learning safety procedures, and I feel that firearm accidents would go way up.

I also originally thought San Diego based on the thread title, and I was very confused as to why a Cali city would be requiring gun ownership.
Not true. More people actually need to read the constitution so they don't make uninformed comments on what is "constitutional"

The healthcare mandate is unconstitutional because it is beyond the powers of congress.

Now, due to the 10th amendment, a state can have a mandate. the amendment says "all powers not specifically given to the federal government, or restricted to the states are reserved by the states" or something very close to that.

Effectively any power not given to the fed, and not specifically denied to the states, are fair game to state governments.

Seriously, the constitution is 14 pages of a book that fits in my pocket. Not exactly hard reading.

Last edited by BetterBob; 02-01-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:58 AM
dE.fUsEd
I still like honda's. :-/

Works in Switzerland pretty good. :dunno: