Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

I have a personal dilemma (that is not related to coffee mugs)

Old 02-01-2011, 05:48 AM
spanky
I go duffy on dem bitches

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a personal dilemma (that is not related to coffee mugs)

My son gets this weekly sheet with a bunch of sight words and recently the sheet has sentences on it. Well, here is this week's sheet.

Obviously sentence two is totally fucked. I think most will agree that the last sentence has an unneeded comma. Unless, of course, the speaker is talking to someone named Fred. :reechy:

Do you guys think I should contact the teacher? My son goes to a private school so I feel as though this type of thing is unacceptable and it really makes me worry about more than just this specific assignment.

What does HAN think?

Last edited by spanky; 02-01-2011 at 06:07 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:11 AM
k3ifers
k three ifers

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

yeh, i'd talk to her and maybe the principal. it's one thing if your kid already knows all of that and can understand that it's a typo, but he's just learning this stuff.

doesn't sentence three need a comma before but?

and sentence one sounds stupid, "i love to go to the mall with my mom"
Old 02-01-2011, 06:13 AM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

I'd probably just send a note back to the teacher with the hw

something along the lines of, 'my son will finish the hw when the assigned work isn't full of errors to start' and point it out

---------- Post added at 10:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 AM ----------

Originally Posted by k3ifers
yeh, i'd talk to her and maybe the principal. it's one thing if your kid already knows all of that and can understand that it's a typo, but he's just learning this stuff.

doesn't sentence three need a comma before but?

and sentence one sounds stupid, "i love to go to the mall with my mom"
lulz i didnt even read first sentence, but now that i do i have to agree with keith. that's pretty sad for a private school
Old 02-01-2011, 06:40 AM
losiglow

Yeah, I'd send in a polite note. Make it clear that you're not trying to nit-pick or be critical. Teachers get enough criticism as it is. But yeah, sentence one, while not gramatically incorrect, is in a backwards awkard format. Should definitely be "to the mall with my mom". Sentence two (as you pointed out) is missing an "in" or "with". The possible comma in sentence three would probably be considered optional so I don't think I'd scrutinize that one. I think the comma in 5 could possibly be justified but I would certainly never write it that way. I'd mention that as well.

If it were public school I'd correct it for my kid and laugh it off. But for private? Definitely worth mentioning.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:42 AM
marvinp8700
if the price is fair

I'd ask for a discount on tuition
Old 02-01-2011, 06:45 AM
spanky

Originally Posted by losiglow
Yeah, I'd send in a polite note. Make it clear that you're not trying to nit-pick or be critical. Teachers get enough criticism as it is. But yeah, sentence one, while not gramatically incorrect, is in a backwards awkard format. Should definitely be "to the mall with my mom". Sentence two (as you pointed out) is missing an "in" or "with". The possible comma in sentence three would probably be considered optional so I don't think I'd scrutinize that one. I think the comma in 5 could possibly be justified but I would certainly never write it that way. I'd mention that as well.

If it were public school I'd correct it for my kid and laugh it off. But for private? Definitely worth mentioning.
I don't want to go TOO deep into it. I can agree that sentence five's comma would make sense if the "speaker" were talking to Fred but not as a general statement.

I also agree on sentence three but I'm not touching that one. I'm just going to mention two and five. I think those need the attention.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:45 AM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

add in that you're a semi-pro gunslinger ... see if that helps o:
Old 02-01-2011, 06:51 AM
spanky

Respectfully,
Jeremy J.

PS I GOT GUNZ!

---------- Post added at 09:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 AM ----------

Seriously though;

Mrs S,

I want to start by saying I sincerely appreciate everything you do for all of the kids and Randall especially. I can't possibly imagine the amount of work, both physical and emotional, that goes into teaching such young minds.

That said, I wanted to bring something to your attention that I assume is simply oversight. On this week's word list, there are two incorrect sentences. The second sentence seems to be missing a word. "We got stuck in the mud [missing word] my dad's truck." The last sentence, "I like to shop with my friend, Fred.," seems to have an uncessary comma. This is assuming that the speaker is not talking to someone named Fred as I believe the comma would be necessary in that instance.

Please don't think I'm being nit-picky or unecessarily scrutinous. I value my son's education dearly and this is one of the areas that I feel people these days are particularly lacking.

Respectfully,
Jeremy
Old 02-01-2011, 07:19 AM
M@rshy
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

unnecessarily^

I read that sheet to my fiancée and she asked 'They pay for this education?'
Seriously though, I would write in like that^. You're paying a lot for your kids education, like hell are they going to teach him wrong.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:19 AM
b00gers

I dont know about private schools there, but you dont need to be credentialed to teach at one here. I would definitely mention something. But in for, "thanks jeremy, for pointing out my mistakes, i am learning the same time."