Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

here is one for you guys, cali city bans use of cash as payment for gov. service

Old 01-27-2011, 09:32 PM
ShaolinLueb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default here is one for you guys, cali city bans use of cash as payment for gov. service

http://www.prisonplanet.com/californ...sing-cash.html

Residents of Discovery Bay, California will be the first in the country to be officially denied the right to use cash to pay for public services, in a move that echoes the Department of Homeland Security’s drive to depict those who use physical money as potential terrorists.

As reported by the Contra Costa Times recently, from May onwards, residents will no long be allowed to pay water bills or purchase park permits after the Discovery Bay Community Services District board voted to ban cash transactions for all services.

Anyone paying for such public services must do so with a credit/debit card, a check or money order.

The declaration on all US money bills that “This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private” will no longer apply in Discovery Bay when it comes to paying the government.

One former director on the District Board told the Times that he believes the move has come in response to a small amount of anonymous requests for copies of public records, which were then paid for in cash, a perfectly legal right.

Residents of the town have been described as “uncommonly antagonistic toward local government”, and former director David Piepho believes some are attempting to use public records “to be like snipers and take shots.”

He believes that by banning cash payments, the local government will be able to identify who these individuals are or prevent them from requesting further public information.

However, district representatives have denied those claims, instead suggesting that the ban is being put in place because handling cash puts city officials under threat from potential thieves.
the video is amazing btw.

Last edited by ShaolinLueb; 01-27-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:14 PM
Black2KGSR

wow...
Old 01-28-2011, 05:41 AM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they do of course realize that refusing cash payment is illegal right? Especially at a city level.

This ought to be fun to watch because I have been living on a cash only basis for the last 5 years now.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:49 AM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

:rofl:

somebody gonna get sued over this. hell i'm surprised they aren't already.

1. it's completely illegal
2. their logic that it has to do with people being targeted by thieves or bc of 'anonymous requests' is laughable

a city has no legal footing to deny a cash payment so long as the cash is not counterfeit.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:52 AM
å
åhhhhh

cash money is so 2005.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:14 AM
Draconius
BAZINGA!

how legit is that site? Did a search and only obscure websites have this "news". No cnn,msnbc,etc.

It true...totally illegal and messed up.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:13 AM
ShaolinLueb

Originally Posted by Draconius
how legit is that site? Did a search and only obscure websites have this "news". No cnn,msnbc,etc.

It true...totally illegal and messed up.
First thing i asked myself. if you type in Google: "Discovery Bay, California bans cash". You will find multiple sites. But they all are not mainstream ones..... I wonder about this. are the major news places avoiding it on purpose or is it made up?
Old 01-28-2011, 12:45 PM
DakarM

I found the actual article

http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_1...nclick_check=1

discovery bay is about 1.5hr north of where i live.
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:32 PM
THEOLDMAN
Checking it twice

Last time I looked at my cash it still has printed on it: THIS NOTE IS LEGAL TENDER FOR ALL DEBTS PUBLIC AND PRIVATE.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ...."WOW! What a ride!!!!!"

LUNCH with THEOLDMAN...On a break for now...
Old 01-28-2011, 01:41 PM
DakarM

i don't see the big deal really. plenty of places don't take cash for mostly safety reasons.
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.