Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Car title help?

Old 01-25-2011, 11:08 AM
pierced1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car title help?

Hey guys, hopin you could give me a bit of advice, seems to be some intellegent people that hangs around here. So here is the deal, i have a friend that purchased a used car from a Toyota dealership in VA in 2002, paid cash for it and drove it away that day. She got a tag for it then, and every year there after in VA. The dealership never issued a tag to her, saying the Toyota Financial Department never released the lein on it, even though it was paid off that day. Well she has recently moved to Al, which requires her to get a new tag for it, which she is unable to do now because of not having the title..... She has constantly been on the dealership about getting a title, and they tell her its Toyota Financial Department. We call them, and of course they have no record of a car bought 9 years ago. She recently got a ticket for expired tags, due to this and is trying to get it straightened out. Anyone have any suggestions or advice on what to try? Thanks for any help.

Notes - Friend bought a car 9 years ago, never got a title. Moved to another state and needs to get tag, but cant because she has no title. No one seems to know who to talk to to get it.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:17 AM
dubcac
I

Does she have any paperwork? She should have a bill of sale and registration paperwork.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:19 AM
pierced1

Some.... has odometer reading paperwork... thats all i know that she has for sure. Most was lost in a move a few years back.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:20 AM
ShaolinLueb

Originally Posted by dubcac
Does she have any paperwork? She should have a bill of sale and registration paperwork.
pretty much, i think the dealerships only keep that stuff for 5 years.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:24 AM
pierced1

The VA DMV said if she can get the Toyota Financial Department to send them a letter stating that they have no interest in the car, and no money is owed, the DMV will issue a replacement title. But Toyota Financial Department says they cant do it because they have no record of her in their system. Because she paid the car off in full the day she bought it at the dealership, it never was financed....
Old 01-25-2011, 11:24 AM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

no offense but if you pay cash for a car and it takes you nine years to actually worry about getting the title then you're kind of a moron.

How did she get tags from VA if she never had the car registered in her name? and if it was registered in her name, how?

At this point she's going to need bill of sale documentation proving that she purchased the car, problem with that is simply paying someone for a car doesn't admonish the lein against a vehicle when it's held by a third party like this. If they never released the lein and she doesn't have a title then financial services technically still has a right to the vehicle. odd that after 9 years they wouldn't have coming looking for it tho if they truly still had a lein on it. You might end up in court to get the dealership to clear things up with toyota.

it still just amazes me though that someone would buy a car and not even get the title. and if you went to pay cash and the dealership jacks you around about handing over a title that you would still buy it.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:31 AM
pierced1

Originally Posted by JessTD
no offense but if you pay cash for a car and it takes you nine years to actually worry about getting the title then you're kind of a moron.

How did she get tags from VA if she never had the car registered in her name? and if it was registered in her name, how?

At this point she's going to need bill of sale documentation proving that she purchased the car, problem with that is simply paying someone for a car doesn't admonish the lein against a vehicle when it's held by a third party like this. If they never released the lein and she doesn't have a title then financial services technically still has a right to the vehicle. odd that after 9 years they wouldn't have coming looking for it tho if they truly still had a lein on it. You might end up in court to get the dealership to clear things up with toyota.

it still just amazes me though that someone would buy a car and not even get the title. and if you went to pay cash and the dealership jacks you around about handing over a title that you would still buy it.
Honestly she was 6 days over 18 when she purchased the car, and paperwork and etc. was the least of her worries at the time. She realizes this now later on down the road, she realizes it was a "duh" move on her part, but trying to get past that fact now and get the issue fixed. Apparently it was registered to her, she was able to get the tag in VA and has every year up until last year. But since she no longer lives in state she has to have the title now to get the plates swapped over...
Old 01-25-2011, 11:33 AM
ShaolinLueb

dealership probably took the cash, hoping the car would get repo'd then claim dumb.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:36 AM
pierced1

Yea on the phone with the dealership now, they have no record of the car purchase. Its at a rather large dealership in Virginia Beach http://www.checkeredflag.com/index.htm.....

Actually after 3rd try, they found her records and they are going to call the Financial department and try to get it straightened out....

Last edited by pierced1; 01-25-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:37 AM
dubcac
I

Sounds like buying speakers out of a van....overstock o: