Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Woman sued for seeking christian roommate in church ad

Old 10-22-2010, 10:31 AM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by b00gers
You can prefer whatever you want. But according to the Fair Housing Act, you cant deny anyone housing opportunity because of "race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status or handicap."

She should have just weeded people out on the down low. :dunno: Just saying.
you have every right to limit who enters your home, be it a prospective roommate or guest. The fair housing act doesn't apply here

section 803, subsection b, paragraph 2:

b)Nothing in section 804 of this title (other than subsection (c)) shall apply to--

(2)rooms or units in dwellings containing living quarters occupied or intended to be occupied by no more than four families living independently of each other, if the owner actually maintains and occupies one of such living quarters as his residence.
since she owns and intends to live in one of the rooms, by the description of the case, that makes her exempt from the fair housing act
Old 10-22-2010, 10:38 AM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

ahhh i take my statement back, subsection c of section 804 refers to advertisements that discriminate from the onset

so you can discriminate you just can't publish your wants

thats fucking stupid . . . i'm sure this will be thrown out and she will be given a warning but good lord. you see ads for this all the time, people need to grow up
Old 10-22-2010, 10:38 AM
b00gers

Originally Posted by JessTD
you have every right to limit who enters your home, be it a prospective roommate or guest. The fair housing act doesn't apply here

section 803, subsection b, paragraph 2:

since she owns and intends to live in one of the rooms, by the description of the case, that makes her exempt from the fair housing act
I didnt read too far into the article, I figure since there was a complaint filed...she broke the law.

But regardless of all that, my point was that she was stupid for doing that. Just stating my opinion of her.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:40 AM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

I didnt read too far into the article, I figure since there was a complaint filed...she broke the law.

But regardless of all that, my point was that she was stupid for doing that. Just stating my opinion of her.
ja read my update . . . she technically did, the laws kinda fucked. she's free to discriminate she's just not allowed to publish that shes going to discriminate

and i think it would be stupid to put in a CL ad something like 'white roommates only' it's kinda asking for trouble on a common sense level. but if you place an ad on a church billboard, i think you have a level of expected result that it would be safe to say christian roommie preferred

Last edited by shirley; 10-22-2010 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:30 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

Originally Posted by white_n_slow
The law actually states that you can't discriminate based on race, religion, creed, color, sex, familial status in the sale or rental of a housing unit you do not live in.
This. This is all you need to know. You have the right to choose who you live with in your own home. You can't do that with an investment property.

Someone at that church must be affiliated with the ACLU Nazis because this is another example of liberal fascism. How many times will they soil themselves trying to pick up a turd by the clean end? No single religion is mentioned. There are over 38,000 Christian religions on file as tax-exempt organizations with the US government, so her request is not even remotely exclusive.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:45 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

Originally Posted by JessTD
... if you place an ad on a church billboard, i think you have a level of expected result that it would be safe to say christian roommie preferred
Not anymore.

So long as activists paradoxically hold their constituents above all others (organizations like CAIR exist to punish people's thoughts, NAACP to punish someone's lack of melanin and paint them as a racist, and feminist organizations to attack all non-liberal successful women) you can expect idiots to troll for any instance where they can punish people for being different than themselves. The paradox being that equality can never be achieved so long as ANY demographic holds another one down... All of these organizations are liberal where "free thought" and "tolerance" is supposed to thrive. Yet they've managed to paint conservatives as the real racists.

I'd rather fight for your right to hate me–than fight to force you to be kind-but-fake to me. Fake people make me angrier than hateful ones because they're 1000x more dangerous. There is no justification whatsoever for political correctness in any truly-free society. Certainly no justification for it in America.

Last edited by Jafro; 10-22-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:29 PM
spanky
I go duffy on dem bitches

Sure she can...but she is stupid for doing what she did.

I might not want a gay white quadriplegic christian male as a roommate...but I should as hell wouldnt write that in my craigslist ad.
Its not like she took the ad out in a newspaper or something.

Fair housing is just as discriminatory as affirmative action
Old 10-22-2010, 02:59 PM
Tobra

GD this pisses me off. I guarandamntee if she said she was looking for a goat fucker nobody would say a word. Whoever filed the complaint needs a good solid kick in the nuts.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:27 PM
Black2KGSR

Originally Posted by spanky
Fair housing is just as discriminatory as affirmative action
Originally Posted by Tobra
GD this pisses me off. I guarandamntee if she said she was looking for a goat fucker nobody would say a word. Whoever filed the complaint needs a good solid kick in the nuts.
these
Old 10-22-2010, 07:27 PM
brtecson
pukimonster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I doubt that she owns the place, mainly because most likely would have said so in the article, so she isnt exempt from the Fair Housing Act. Lessor != owner.

Also, people should familiarize themselves with tenant rights before they start trying to seek roommates, co-lessors or whatever the case may be before posting exclusionary ads anywhere. Most locales administer free landlord/tenant rights classes for free to prevent this kind of issue from ever surfacing.

Flame on h: