Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

How much would it take? v.job relocation

Old 10-15-2010, 12:09 PM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much would it take? v.job relocation

Given the following scenario how much more money would you guys demand to make the change?

Currently:

My drive to work is about 5-10 minutes depending on traffic, if that even. Winter weather is barely a factor as it's main roads and they clean them regularly.

What my boss wants:

Move me to the main warehouse / office facility. This is located about an hours drive in normal weather and normal traffic . . . mostly freeway and rarely stop n go. During winter this could get tricky as it's a troubled spot in that lot's of shitty commuters.

I'm up for a raise on the 28th of this month and im expecting approximately a $2 an hour increase. I'm not opposed to the change i just want to be compensated for the added drive time / distance / hassle . . . i'm thinking including my projected $2 an hour raise of asking for an additional $2 or $3 an hour bringing my total increase to $4 or $5 an hour.

Fair? too much? too little? what would you guys ask for to make the move?
Old 10-15-2010, 12:11 PM
NOPD
Come in My Hole

The question is would that few dollars make a big difference to you.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:13 PM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

Originally Posted by NOPD
The question is would that few dollars make a big difference to you.
well . . . if it was say $5 an hour. . . that would be about an extra $540 a paycheck pre tax . . . i'd use prolly an extra $80 in gas a pay period . . . soooo net gain of $460 pre tax? it sure would be nice to have what amounts to almost a grand extra each month before taxes
Old 10-15-2010, 12:38 PM
GSRRacer95
Fight On!

I moved to another state to take a job with a 15% raise and they paid for the move and my first 3 months of rent.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:49 PM
DarkStarr
Shake n Bake!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think $4-$5 sounds a little steep. I'd take the standard pay rise then try to negotiate an accurate mileage increase allowance or something.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:58 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Originally Posted by JessTD
well . . . if it was say $5 an hour. . . that would be about an extra $540 a paycheck pre tax . . . i'd use prolly an extra $80 in gas a pay period . . . soooo net gain of $460 pre tax? it sure would be nice to have what amounts to almost a grand extra each month before taxes
I would do it for an extra $900 a month for sure.

Another way to approach it is to take your basic promotion and ask your boss to give you an extra 10 hours per week for commute time. Maybe a gas card too. Maybe if you ask for it that way, he'll realize how much of a sacrafice it is and just offer you a bigger raise instead.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:21 PM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

Originally Posted by DarkStarr
I think $4-$5 sounds a little steep. I'd take the standard pay rise then try to negotiate an accurate mileage increase allowance or something.
I'm guaranteed a minimum $2 increase, that was the deal when i took this job in march . . . and it was also prior to knowing the effect my experience would have on our department . . . considering we are up over 60% in sales over last year and it can be documented as in part by me, in one of the worst economies in the US, i have no doubt i should be seeing something larger than that.

My boss and i have an extremely good relationship that extends beyond work, he wanted me to come over there tonight and go out drinking with him and his college buddy who is in from out of state, so i feel no shame or concern throwing out a high number.

i wouldn't do it for a mileage increase alone
Old 10-15-2010, 01:23 PM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

Originally Posted by white_n_slow
I would do it for an extra $900 a month for sure.

Another way to approach it is to take your basic promotion and ask your boss to give you an extra 10 hours per week for commute time. Maybe a gas card too. Maybe if you ask for it that way, he'll realize how much of a sacrafice it is and just offer you a bigger raise instead.
only reason he hasn't made it happen yet is that he knows the difference it would make on me . . . he's pretty cool like that. i thought about a gas card, but i dont know how that would go over. he would be cool with it but the man above him may not, we had some people abuse gas cards a few years ago :dunno:

and i think it would be cheaper for him to just pay me the extra wage instead of the extra hours as it would be all at OT since i already work 50 a week as it is lol. that would be a guaranteed 20 hours OT a week
Old 10-15-2010, 01:26 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

well if he's your buddy, just tell him he's breakin' your balls and throw out a big number.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:00 PM
DakarM

so how percentage increase is approximately 11K increase in annual salary when compared your current salary.

when i actually relocated for a job i asked for 25% increase + car allowance or a company car.
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.