Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Eileen Simon - an interesting american

Old 03-30-2003, 04:08 PM
HondaHoss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eileen Simon - an interesting american

this maybe a dreaded REPOST from a relative noob but............

I'm watching dateline and they had the story or one Eileen Simon. Her husbad was killed in one of the collapsing twin towers on 9/11/01. A government fund was established for the surviving families of those lost in the towers. Also legislation was passed to disallow any type of wrongful death lawsuit against the airlines for any negligence they may have had in the tragedy. From this government fund all surviving families were appointed $1.6 million to help carry on their current lifestyle. Although it is, of course, impossible to put a price tag on a human life, the fund managers took into account present and likely future earnings levels of those perished as well as their future social security and workmen's compensation incomes to establish the amount.

However, deducted from this amount was any life insurance pay out due to the family. They would also be unable to collect social security in the future as well as any other benefits due to the deceased. In Eileen's case the life insurance settlement was for $500,000 dollars. She then procured the applicable workmen's compensation forms and social security payment scales and began to calculate the sum she would have been able to collect if not for the stipulation of the government settlement.

In her case she was already forced to forego $500,000 of the settlement because that was the amount paid by her late husbands life insurance. Then after calculating the money she would have been due from social security from her husband and any workmen's comp her would have been due she came up with a figure just over $1 million. This amount was also to be deducted from the settlement leaving her with virtually nothing left over. (the amount they showed on her calculator was $2282)

During a meeting with the head of fund she brought this to his attention and to his credit he removed both loopholes allowing those in question to receive the entire amount less life insurance payouts. Benefitting countless grieving families.

I found this very interesting because she instituted a grassroots movement and succeeded instead of simply getting any lawyers she could and filing suit against countless organizations or taking the protective ban on bringing legal action against the airlines to the supreme courts causing anguish to families and further hardships on the airlines.

an interesting way to go in today's litigious society.

i was interested in what you guys thought, sorry i'm missing some details and info.