Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Bike Crew v. Racks

Old 04-16-2009, 08:20 AM
IluvJae
Grifball Player

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike Crew v. Racks

I need a bike rack. Preferrably one that straps on to the back of my car on the trunk. I heard these types of racks scratch up your paint and aren't very stable. Does anybody have any recommendations on any. I was looking at one at Target. Going to go riding this weekend since it's the nicest day of the year so far.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:23 AM
k3ifers
k three ifers

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i got my dad a bike rack for the garage. not the car though, he rides his
Old 04-16-2009, 10:03 AM
b00gers

All trunk racks will scratch your paint. There is no real way to avoid it...just minimize it. The rubber padding on the racks will shift when you tighten the straps...that will move any dirt that is on the paint. So I now try to clean off as best as I can the areas that come in contact with the pads. Then on the pads itself, I put a microfiber towel around the rubber. And of course when securing the bikes...make sure the handle bar is secured to the frame so the front wheels cant move and hit your bumper...and the back wheel should be kept from being able to spin because that will turn the crank and the pedals can scratch the paint. Then finally depending on the rack, secure the bottom half of the frame onto the trunk. Going about 40+, the bike looks like its hanging on for dear life

I have the Saris Bones 3 bike. Great sturdy rack...easy to fit onto car...easy to take on and off.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:06 AM
scotttharobot
beer here

I have some no-name universal bike rack that my dad bought ~15 yrs ago... i dunno, it works for me, haven't noticed any wear marks / paint scratches yet from it. I can carry two bikes on it, but I just throw mine on and bungee the shit out of it. It hung on during a 7 hr drive through a wicked storm.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:10 AM
b00gers

I went to Napa last weekend with my bike and it started storming when I left. I stood in the rain taking the wheels off my bike and putting it into my backseat Then I attached the rack onto the trunk with no bike on it
Old 04-16-2009, 10:23 AM
IluvJae
Grifball Player

Thanks wiwl.

What are your thoughts on this one?

http://www.target.com/Bell-Triple-Ba...28&pf_rd_t=201
Old 04-16-2009, 10:32 AM
b00gers

Never used it. Most racks are similar in design. It is all about the quality of the arms and straps. I wouldnt trust my bikes on it though...I would probably hesitate to put 3 bikes on there especially if you have heavy bikes.. Just dont go drifting around corners...and just be aware that you are carrying loose weight on there. A cheap bike weighs 30-40 lbs.

Also, adjusting the straps securely makes a huge difference...spend a good amount of time making sure they are adjusted right. And I also like to do some dips on the rack before putting my bikes on there. And yes, the Saris Bones can be used to do dips from my 145lb ass
Old 04-16-2009, 10:41 AM
IluvJae
Grifball Player

Originally Posted by b00gers
Never used it. Most racks are similar in design. It is all about the quality of the arms and straps. I wouldnt trust my bikes on it though...I would probably hesitate to put 3 bikes on there especially if you have heavy bikes.. Just dont go drifting around corners...and just be aware that you are carrying loose weight on there. A cheap bike weighs 30-40 lbs.

Also, adjusting the straps securely makes a huge difference...spend a good amount of time making sure they are adjusted right. And I also like to do some dips on the rack before putting my bikes on there. And yes, the Saris Bones can be used to do dips from my 145lb ass
Hmmm, So i guess i might have to spend a little extra money for a good one. Wonder if it's worth it right now maybe just take the tires off and put them in the trunk/back seat until i can afford a good one. Yakima Super Joe 2-Bike Trunk Rack
Old 04-16-2009, 10:47 AM
b00gers

Yakima makes good roof and hitch racks Their trunk racks are alright

And taking off the wheels arent that hard Just bring a towel to wrap the crank and derailleurs to keep from them dirtying your carpet
Old 04-16-2009, 10:54 AM
k3ifers
k three ifers

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

buy a pickup.