Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Bill would allow guns in bars, restaurants(AZ)

Old 02-10-2009, 07:30 AM
skabone69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bill would allow guns in bars, restaurants(AZ)

http://www.ktar.com/index.php?nid=6&sid=1041963
February 10th, 2009 @ 7:05am
by Bob McClay/KTAR

A bill that would give customers the right to take guns into bars and restaurants is making its way through the Arizona Senate.

The bill would require owners of bars and eateries to post signs if they choose not to permit firearms in their businesses.

Sen. Jack Harper, R-Surprise, said current law bans people from carrying a weapon into any business with a liquor license.

"This should be up to the business owner to exercise their property rights to decide whether or not they want to allow a patron to exercise their Second Amendment rights," said Harper, who tried unsuccessfully to get a similar bill passed last year.

"If someone comes into a restaurant and they're not consuming alcohol, that's no different than them walking through a Wal-mart, K-mart or Target that sells firearms and has alcohol," Harper said. "If you're not consuming, there's no reason why the business owner shouldn't be allowed the decision to allow you to exercise your Second Amendment rights."

He added, "In every other business in this state, firearms are allowed as long as the business owner allows them. But, if the business has an on-site consumption liquor license, then the state government decides for the business owner that firearms will not be allowed, even if the patrol is not consuming alcohol."

Harper said the bill is sponsored by the National Rifle Association and that the group wants it passed before the annual convention in Phoenix in the spring.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:31 AM
RicoD
Pull my finger

spanks is moving here

there is a BWW here too
Old 02-10-2009, 07:50 AM
skabone69

Originally Posted by RicoD
spanks is moving here

there is a BWW here too
lol!

I've got a BWW within rock throwing distance of my condo.

I'm pretty sure this bill will pass, with a republican house, and gov, this should go thru. AZ can thank Obama for this gift, he took our gov to appoint to his cabinet and we got a republican gov in return.:roofles:
Old 02-10-2009, 07:58 AM
thomas
pew pew pew

i asked a cop one time about carrying my gun when i go to eat at a restaurant he said "dont drop it"
Old 02-10-2009, 08:04 AM
JGordon

A lot of states allow this. Here in CO you can carry in bars & restaurants, and places can post signs saying no guns allowed but they aren't enforceable. The restaurant can ask you to leave, and if you refuse they can get you on trespassing, but that having a firearm doesn't really change anything. There's not even really a restriction on drinking and carrying. But if you ever had to actually use the firearm, you better not have been drinking because the jury will hang you out to dry.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:07 AM
thomas
pew pew pew

Originally Posted by JGordon
A lot of states allow this. Here in CO you can carry in bars & restaurants, and places can post signs saying no guns allowed but they aren't enforceable. The restaurant can ask you to leave, and if you refuse they can get you on trespassing, but that having a firearm doesn't really change anything. There's not even really a restriction on drinking and carrying. But if you ever had to actually use the firearm, you better not have been drinking because the jury will hang you out to dry.
excatly
Old 02-10-2009, 08:13 AM
mike01civic

they're allowed here, as long as you aren't intoxicated.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:18 AM
skabone69

Originally Posted by thomas
i asked a cop one time about carrying my gun when i go to eat at a restaurant he said "dont drop it"
if you've got a CCW permit and your smart about it you can get away with it and noone will know.(I'm currently waiting for mine to come in the mail) Its the people that carry with their holsters showing are what people will probably freak out about.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:44 AM
Tark

Someone will start writing letters