Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Anti-Aircraft Defense v. Laser Avenger

Old 02-09-2009, 06:09 PM
DarkStarr
Shake n Bake!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anti-Aircraft Defense v. Laser Avenger

US military develops anti-aircraft laser

The latest weapon developed by US engineers is a Humvee jeep mounted with a giant laser capable of shooting down aircraft.

By Murray Wardrop
Last Updated: 1:41AM GMT 09 Feb 2009

The Laser Avenger successfully shot down a series of unmanned aerial vehicles during recent tests and is being hailed as a revolutionary weapon for future warfare.

The experiment was the first time that a ground vehicle has used a laser to destroy moving aircraft and marks a watershed moment in the development of lasers for battlefield use.

Invented by Boeing, the laser is fitted to a Humvee off-road vehicle, allowing it to be moved into the most remote locations to shoot down enemy planes.

It is hoped that the Laser Avenger will be used to help US forces tackle small unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), which often carry explosives or surveillance equipment.

Such devices are difficult for conventional air defence systems to shoot down.

The complex testing at White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico, required the laser to track three UAVs against a backdrop of mountains and desert.
When the targets were sighted, the Laser Avenger successfully shot down three UAVs with its high-powered directed energy beam.

Gary Fitzmire, vice president and program director of Boeing Directed Energy Systems, said: "Small UAVs armed with explosives or equipped with surveillance sensors are a growing threat on the battlefield.

"Laser Avenger, unlike a conventional weapon, can fire its laser beam without creating missile exhaust or gun flashes that would reveal its position.

"As a result, Laser Avenger can neutralize these UAV threats while keeping our troops safe."

The test firing was observed by representatives of the US Army's Cruise Missile Defense Systems project office.

The experiment follows a previous test in 2007 of a prototype Laser Avenger which obliterated improvised explosive devices and unexploded ordnance on the ground.

Lee Gutheinz, Boeing's program director for High-Energy Laser/Electro-Optical Systems, said: "We doubled the laser power; added sophisticated acquisition, tracking and pointing capability; and simplified the design.

"Boeing developed and integrated these upgrades in less than a year, underscoring our ability to rapidly respond to war-fighters' needs."

The Laser Avenger is an infrared laser with power levels in the range of tens of kilowatts.

It is a modified version of an existing US Army air defence weapon that uses two Stinger missile launchers and a heavy machine gun, with one missile pod swapped for the laser and its target tracker.

Existing weapons struggle to shoot down small, light UAVs, which are often made of plastic rather than metal, because surface to air missiles designed to target normal-sized aircraft cannot lock onto them.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...aft-laser.html
Pretty freakin cool

Last edited by DarkStarr; 02-09-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:31 PM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

:usa:

Growing up during the cold war and hearing about our Star Wars defense mechanism, this is the kinda stuff that's long over due.

o:

Last edited by Chefboiali; 02-09-2009 at 06:36 PM. Reason: grammar o:
Old 02-09-2009, 06:32 PM
DarkStarr
Shake n Bake!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chefboiali
:usa:

Growing up during the cold war and hearing about our Star Wars defense mechanism, this is the kinda stuff is long over due.

o:
Werd, I would love to see some of the weapons systems we have in development.. I have a feeling there is more out there than what is shown on Future Weapons
Old 02-09-2009, 06:33 PM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

sweet to see this thing finally tested

there have been articles about it over the years and the question was would it really bare fruit
Old 02-09-2009, 06:36 PM
RicoD
Pull my finger

There are far better weapons out there h:
Old 02-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

Originally Posted by DarkStarr
Werd, I would love to see some of the weapons systems we have in development.. I have a feeling there is more out there than what is shown on Future Weapons
Right?!?

But I'm not mad at what I don't know. If I don't know, our enemies don't know h:

o:
Old 02-09-2009, 06:58 PM
BetterBob
Nobama

So why don't we have lightsabers yet?
Old 02-09-2009, 07:10 PM
puffy
bow down to king puffy

Originally Posted by BetterBob
So why don't we have lightsabers yet?
we do..
Old 02-09-2009, 07:25 PM
TaekOne
pronounced tech

that is piiiimp. i can only imagine how much $$$ this is going to bring for Boeing

i just hope no one else gets a hold of this stuff. it'll be like tony stark gettin jacked
Old 02-09-2009, 07:54 PM
ShaolinLueb

shits like straight out of G.I. JOE!!!!