Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

150 MPH electric motorcycle!

Old 02-06-2009, 10:59 AM
Pete
Civilian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 150 MPH electric motorcycle!

http://blog.wired.com/cars/2009/02/mission-motors.html

A San Francisco startup led by a former Tesla Motors engineer is developing an electric motorcycle capable of 150 mph, a claim that, if true, would make it the fastest production electric vehicle in the world.

Mission Motors unveiled the bike, dubbed Mission One, at the TED conference and said it will begin selling them next year for $69,000 apiece. Although several electric motorcycles have been announced in recent weeks, Mission Motors sticks out because its 12 employees have worked for Tesla, Ducati North America and Intel, and the bike they're building could set a new benchmark for EVs of all kinds.

"As a motorcycle enthusiast and engineer, I knew I could combine my passion for motorcycles with my passion for innovation and create a motorcycle that truly sets a new standard in the perception of electric vehicles," company founder and CEO Forrest North said at the Mission One's launch.

The prototype, wearing bodywork designed by Yves Behar, is based on a Ducati 900 was designed entirely in-house by Mission Motors. Power comes from a 3-phase AC induction motor and a liquid-cooled lithium-ion battery the company claims delivers 150 miles and recharges in just two hours at 240 volts. That climbs to eight hours at 120 volts.

Top-shelf hardware includes Ohlins suspension at both ends, four-piston Brembo brakes and Marchesini forged wheels. The components - and the claimed 150 horsepower - put the bike on par with hardcore sportbikes like the Ducati 1198. That's exactly what North had in mind.

"With Mission One, we're writing the next chapter in motorcycle design, delivering a new riding experience without sacrificing performance or design in a zero emissions vehicle," he said in a statement.

Mission Motors was called Hum Cycles when North launched the company in 2007 after spending a year at Tesla, where he worked on the battery pack that powers the Roadster. Since then he's assembled an impressive team drawn from Silicon Valley and Ducati North America. Vice president of engineering Mason Cabot spent 10 years at Intel. VP of finance Dan Kaplan was CFO of Ducati North America and director of finance at Tesla. Product manager Jeremy Cleland is a motorcycle racer who also has worked for both Ducati and Tesla.

So far the company has raised $1.5 million from investors and capital venture firms like One Earth Capital. As Forbes notes, that won't last long, and Tesla's shown that building a high-dollar, high-performance EV is a tricky proposition. And in addition to going up against startups like Zero Motors and Brammo, Mission Motors will be competing with major manufacturers like Honda and KTM as they develop electric motorcycles.

North says production will begin next year and he's already sold five bikes. The first run is limited to 50 hand-built bikes, which will be followed by a bigger run of 250 before the company introduces a more affordable model.

The company plans to race the bike in the TTXGP, a zero-emissions motorcycle grand prix slated for the Isle of Man, on June 14th.
The thing looks weird as hell, but holy crap would it be fun. Imagine cruising on that thing making virtually no noise and having instant torque at your fingertips :yumyum:
Old 02-06-2009, 11:01 AM
CRAIGHIMSELF
Be good

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it. It looks like a 60's style concrete wall youd find on a front porch.

Ibpetegetsoneandgets10tickets.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Pete
Civilian

Originally Posted by CRAIGHIMSELF
Ibpetegetsoneandgets10tickets.
Well, I would certainly have stealth to my advantage on that baby. It would be a great way to break the ice with a cop that has never seen one and probably result in "Be careful with that thing." h:
Old 02-06-2009, 11:04 AM
M@rshy
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Wow. That thing sounds awesome!
Not a fan of the front black part though. Looks odd. I'd still rock it though.

I like the noise of a crotch rocket though.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:07 AM
Anthony
ZOMG Pew Pew Laserbeams

I needs a speaker, else that person will get HOSED h:
Old 02-06-2009, 01:02 PM
JGordon

Looks hideous, and would definitely need some sort of noisemaker because motorcycles are hard enought to notice as is. The 150 mile range is much more acceptable in a bike than in a car, as that's about how far most bikes go before needing a refill anyway. Good idea, but I hope they change the look before production.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:27 PM
Red X
x pǝɹ

Originally Posted by JGordon
Looks hideous, and would definitely need some sort of noisemaker because motorcycles are hard enought to notice as is. The 150 mile range is much more acceptable in a bike than in a car, as that's about how far most bikes go before needing a refill anyway. Good idea, but I hope they change the look before production.
I didnt see anything about 150 mile range. Only 150 mph
Old 02-08-2009, 12:30 PM
dubcac
I

"Power comes from a 3-phase AC induction motor and a liquid-cooled lithium-ion battery the company claims delivers 150 miles and recharges in just two hours at 240 volts. That climbs to eight hours at 120 volts."
Old 02-08-2009, 12:39 PM
M@rshy
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Originally Posted by Anthony
I needs a speaker, else that person will get HOSED h:
I'd hack it to Rick Roll everyone.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:45 PM
canada

Looks fun... I'd rock it.