Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.
View Poll Results: Do you agree with the coach getting fired?
Yes
18.92%
No
81.08%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Micah Grimes Fired. Do you agree with the decision?

Old 01-26-2009, 12:51 PM
RB
snitches get stitches

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Micah Grimes Fired. Do you agree with the decision?

I don't know if the original story was posted on here, but the long and short of it is this:

Covenant Academy, a Christian school, beats Dallas Academy, a school for kids with learning disabilities (dyslexia, ADHD, etc), in a game of high school girl's basketball by a score of 100-0. Reportedly, the head coach of Covenant Academy, Micah Grimes, left his starters in the game til the end of the 3rd quarter.

The school soon issued a letter of apology and expressed regret for the score. They said the way the game was played was not in line with their values.

Several days later, Micah grimes issued the following statement:

"In response to the statement posted on The Covenant School Web site, I do not agree with the apology or the notion that the Covenant School girls basketball team should feel embarrassed or ashamed," Grimes wrote in the e-mail, according to the newspaper. "We played the game as it was meant to be played. My values and my beliefs would not allow me to run up the score on any opponent, and it will not allow me to apologize for a wide-margin victory when my girls played with honor and integrity."

The school fired Grimes shortly after, but would not confirm that it was a result of Grimes' statement.

So do you agree with the firing?

Personally, I think the coach showed no class in putting the starters out there for so long. Dallas Academy has not won a game in 4 years and was obviously not going to win this game, so doing what he did was pretty low, and further, reflects badly on the school.

Last edited by RB; 01-26-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:54 PM
Anthony
ZOMG Pew Pew Laserbeams

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get rid of the guy. Don't they have a mercy rule for things like this? Especially with non-college schools?
Old 01-26-2009, 12:54 PM
CRAIGHIMSELF
Be good

I think its a lame move and shameful to not only himself but to the school. However I do not justify him being fired i.e. losing his income and power to provide for his family.

In my opinion, an apology (which I read he refused to give) was in order but taking away his financial status for kicking another teams ass legally, isnt ok with me.

Originally Posted by Anthony
Get rid of the guy. Don't they have a mercy rule for things like this? Especially with non-college schools?
No, the original story on MSNBC said they do not have this kind of rule.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:57 PM
dj02
click click

dude sounds like a douche
Old 01-26-2009, 12:58 PM
R_Squared
LEVEL UP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think some sort of action should be taken towards the coach. I don't think, however, that he should be fired. h:
spanky
I go duffy on dem bitches

What the fuck is wrong with you pussys? This is what's ruining America. Punish the winners and reward the losers. Fucking kids games where you give the losers a fucking trophy too. Fuck that shit. Bitches.

His team won fair and square. If anything, the other coach should be fired for allowing his team to be so humiliated.

Flame suit on.

Last edited by spanky; 01-26-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

No class. Should have never done it to a school for kids with learning disabilities.

I hear what he said about PLAYING the game, but it's still bullshit. :down:

Fired... I don't think so.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:00 PM
spanky

Since when does dyslexia and ADHD stop you from becoming good at a physical sport? It's not like they were playing kids in fucking wheelchairs.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:01 PM
TeggerLS

Christ would have said "forgive him for he knows not what he does" and let him continue to work, the school itself is exercising it's self righteousness in the firing of this man. Holiness is not achieved through judging as good or bad, but seeing what is without judgment.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:01 PM
spanky

Taken from their own website:

By incorporating a strong curriculum, team sports, and a wide variety of extra curricular student activities, Dallas Academy strives to prepare our students for further study (80% to 90% of DA’s graduates attend 2- or 4-yr colleges) and, more importantly, a successful and satisfying life.

They can do all that but they can't play basketball?