Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Judge orders additional arguments in Neumann prayer death case

Old 11-05-2008, 05:29 PM
Grifter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Judge orders additional arguments in Neumann prayer death case

A judge said Monday he was caught between a "rock and a hard place" in trying to decide whether to dismiss reckless homicide charges against a town of Weston couple for praying instead of seeking a doctor's care as their 11-year-old daughter died of untreated diabetes.
Advertisement

Attorneys for Dale and Leilani Neumann say the couple cannot be charged with second-degree reckless homicide without their constitutional rights being violated.

Marathon County Circuit Court Judge Vincent Howard ordered Monday that prosecutors and the Neumanns' attorneys file written arguments within the next 10 days on a case from Oregon that could be cited in this case.

After hearing arguments Monday and reading written motions filed in recent weeks, Howard said he planned to issue a final written decision later this month.

"I'm between a rock and a hard place," Howard said, referring to a Minnesota case that also was cited. "The two cases make a compelling case for each side. They are 180 degrees from each other."

He said courts in two states have tossed out similar cases while courts in two other states allowed them to go to trial.

The Neumanns' 11-year-old daughter, Kara, died at their Weston home March 23 after becoming too weak to speak, eat, drink or walk. Prosecutors say the girl's symptoms should have prompted her parents to seek life-saving medical treatment.

The dispute centers around two Wisconsin laws -- homicide is against the law with no exception for prayer and another law says it is not child abuse to treat illness through prayer alone.

Marathon County Assistant District Attorney LaMont Jacobson said the Neumanns should have known they put their child's life at risk by not seeking medical attention.

Jay Kronenwetter, Dale Neumann's attorney, said there is no law banning prayer as a form of medical treatment.

"Was my client reasonable in having faith in his God," Kronenwetter asked. "That is the ultimate question this jury will have to decide."

Reckless homicide carries up to a 25-year prison sentence.

http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/art...811040607/1981
Old 11-05-2008, 05:32 PM
marvinp8700
if the price is fair

reckless homicide all the way
Old 11-05-2008, 05:33 PM
sinthetiq

It was truly a difficult decision for me to make, but it's my job.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:41 PM
spanky
I go duffy on dem bitches

I'm torn.

Part of me says throw them in the slammer but the other part says that's the reason why we are where we are.

It is hypocritical for someone to judge someone's parenting yet expect to be able to parent as they please. What difference is there between spanking a child in a walmart (which can get you in the slammer in some places) and praying over a child because that is what you believe in?

Sucky situation all around.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:00 PM
å
åhhhhh

Old 11-05-2008, 09:16 PM
aux
More Black on Black Crime

homicide.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:03 PM
95SiR
hood rich

Originally Posted by spanky
I'm torn.

Part of me says throw them in the slammer but the other part says that's the reason why we are where we are.

It is hypocritical for someone to judge someone's parenting yet expect to be able to parent as they please. What difference is there between spanking a child in a walmart (which can get you in the slammer in some places) and praying over a child because that is what you believe in?

Sucky situation all around.
werd
Old 11-05-2008, 10:09 PM
useless
i like cheese

homicide
It's one thing to pray and stuff but when the kid became to weak to do anything then they should have talked to a doctor
hell you could even say that since god created everything he created doctors and medicine, or showed people how to become doctors and make medicine, and they should be used when needed.
But what do i know, i'm an atheist.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:21 PM
DarkStarr
Shake n Bake!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

God gave us enough common sense to take our physical concerns to the doctor..