Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Just ordered one of these:

Old 09-18-2008, 07:11 AM
THEOLDMAN
Checking it twice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just ordered one of these:

I'm in the process of developing a show for podcasting later this semester and thought that it would be easier for me to go to the musicians rather than have them come to me...

It also gives me something a little better than what the school has to offer in the way of equipment.

Product Description
From the Manufacturer
Whether you're recording a live performance, a podcast, a class or workshop, a rehearsal, a songwriting session or even a sizzling performance of your band, the H4 has more recording tools available than any device ever made. Weighing a mere 6.7 ounces (190g), the H4 puts a remarkable amount of recording power in the palm of your hand.

Many uses of the Zoom H4 portable stereo recorder
Underneath its sleek exterior are built-in studio effects such as compression, limiting and mic modeling. Use the combination XLR-1/4-inch inputs for external mics, guitars, bass or keyboards. Also onboard are Zoom's most incredible microphone, guitar and bass modeling, accurately reproducing the tone of the most famous microphones and amps ever made. Audio can be recorded as WAV or MP3 files and moved to a computer via USB for easy editing, mixing and mastering.

True stereo imaging:
Stereo recording is often accomplished by using two microphones in a V-shaped set up that faces the performer. While this method will result in good stereo separation, responsiveness for the area directly in front of the mics will be low, causing problems with depth perception and imaging. The Zoom H4 uses an X/Y configuration where the two microphones point inward at a crossing angle. This allows the recorder to cover a wide area, and at the same time capture sound sources in the center with perfect clarity and definition. Phase differences between left and right channels are also eliminated because sound is picked up simultaneously by both microphones.
The Zoom H4 offers true stereo image recording
Absence of phase differences ensures natural stereo imaging

24-bit/96 kHz linear PCM format and MP3 recording:
The H4 allows 24-bit/96 kHz linear PCM recording in WAV format, resulting in excellent transparency and definition that exceeds the sound quality of CDs. This is great for capturing the nuances of an acoustic instrument while preserving the ambience of the recording location. Or record directly as MP3 files for longer recordings that still provide excellent sound quality.

Secure Digital (SD) Media
The H4 records on Secure Digital (SD) Media cards. These widely available cards boast an amazing amount of recording time in a small package. And unlike tape or disc media, mechanical vibrations do not affect recording quality. With a 2GB SD memory card, the H4 can provide up to 190 minutes of stereo WAV file recording in 44.1 kHz/16-bit mode or as many as 34 hours when recording at 128 kbps in MP3 stereo mode.

Combination XLR-1/4" Inputs
The H4, with its two phantom powered XLR-1/4" input jacks that support direct connection of external microphones, is the solution to an infinite number of recording situations. You can also use the H4's Hi-Z rated phone inputs for direct connection of guitars, bass, or any other line-input device.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ...."WOW! What a ride!!!!!"

LUNCH with THEOLDMAN...On a break for now...
Old 09-18-2008, 07:12 AM
HawtPants
the one and only

cool binoculars
Old 09-18-2008, 07:19 AM
Just Janna
Cake or Death?

Originally Posted by HawtPants
cool binoculars
Please tell me you're being sarcastic.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:55 AM
k3ifers
k three ifers

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

cool taser
Old 09-18-2008, 07:56 AM
Skelly_GSR
RB does men

cool laser
Old 09-18-2008, 08:14 AM
Tark

cool recorder
Old 09-18-2008, 08:26 AM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

is that for testing BAC?
Old 09-18-2008, 01:19 PM
THEOLDMAN
Checking it twice

Tark, thanks I'm waiting with baited breath for it to get here.

I'm going to make my own bank of sound events that I will then put on CDs. What I'm planning for "THEOLDMAN's Radio Show" this semester as we convert to podcasting is to interview/record different area bands/musicians and their original music for podcasts. I've got three jazz bands/performers that have agreed so far, and I am looking for more.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ...."WOW! What a ride!!!!!"

LUNCH with THEOLDMAN...On a break for now...