Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Adding a 3rd vehicle.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:01 AM
jaymar88
HA.net Workout Krew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding a 3rd vehicle.

So I know the market sucks and blah blah blah.. Here's what I was toying around with. Having the new kid and all has shown me the necessity of having a vehicle big enough to carry all our gear comfortably. Additionally, I really miss the convenience of being able to carry visiting family and friends with luggage and all. Finally, I would like the capability to transport larger items from the store, from my parents, etc. My original thoughts were to sell/trade in the bimmer for a nice SUV. Something slightly used >30k. But with gas prices the way they are, I've been looking at keeping the bimmer as my commuter and buying an older SUV for use as a "weekend/recreational vehicle". I was originally looking at Tahoes/Yukons, but after some research, it looks like they're notorious for intake manifold gasket failures/steering column issues/ fuel pumps/ 4wd issues. Then I started looking at Expeditions. I know some of you are going to rag on fords and whatever.. I never had any marjor issues with my old expedition (2000 xlt) and I'm kinda drawn to that body style. So after some poking around I found a few that are pretty cheap. There's a 2001 xlt 2wd for 6000 w/ 75k miles and a few more like it. I called insurance and it would be approx 40 more a month to insure (having 3 cars on now). Should I do it? I don't know if it's worth spending 6 large on a car that would only be driven on weekends. The utility is nice though.. Mostly the convenience would be the best. I don't see them getting too much cheaper. I think current bb is like 8500. INPUT? and yes i know it would cost me about 110 to fill up for 350 miles.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:05 AM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a trailer for the bimmer.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:05 AM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by jaymar88
So I know the market sucks and blah blah blah.. Here's what I was toying around with. Having the new kid and all has shown me the necessity of having a vehicle big enough to carry all our gear comfortably. Additionally, I really miss the convenience of being able to carry visiting family and friends with luggage and all. Finally, I would like the capability to transport larger items from the store, from my parents, etc. My original thoughts were to sell/trade in the bimmer for a nice SUV. Something slightly used >30k. But with gas prices the way they are, I've been looking at keeping the bimmer as my commuter and buying an older SUV for use as a "weekend/recreational vehicle". I was originally looking at Tahoes/Yukons, but after some research, it looks like they're notorious for intake manifold gasket failures/steering column issues/ fuel pumps/ 4wd issues. Then I started looking at Expeditions. I know some of you are going to rag on fords and whatever.. I never had any marjor issues with my old expedition (2000 xlt) and I'm kinda drawn to that body style. So after some poking around I found a few that are pretty cheap. There's a 2001 xlt 2wd for 6000 w/ 75k miles and a few more like it. I called insurance and it would be approx 40 more a month to insure (having 3 cars on now). Should I do it? I don't know if it's worth spending 6 large on a car that would only be driven on weekends. The utility is nice though.. Mostly the convenience would be the best. I don't see them getting too much cheaper. I think current bb is like 8500. INPUT? and yes i know it would cost me about 110 to fill up for 350 miles.
if you want something as big as the exp, I would prob and this is just me, go with a 95-95 suburban diesel over the expo. About the same price, better gas mileage and a better work horse :dunno:
Old 09-15-2008, 10:06 AM
Anthony
ZOMG Pew Pew Laserbeams

Old school Odyssey? h:
Old 09-15-2008, 10:08 AM
jaymar88
HA.net Workout Krew

Mar and I made a pact not to ever own a minivan. Diesel is not as widely available here in socal. And the burban is HUUUUGE compared to the expedition. And 95 is "Too Used." I think the bimmer subframe will tear out of it's mounts. It can barely sustain the car. LOLz
Old 09-15-2008, 10:08 AM
NOPD
Come in My Hole

Yeah, why not a van. I'm partial to THE ODYSSEY.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:09 AM
CRAIGHIMSELF
Be good

I do an Explorer. Fuck an Expedition. Those are too big for what you need.
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Since the bottom has fallen out of the sumo-sized SUV market, I'd be a bit more choosy.
If you're committed to an Expedition, see if you can find an newer model with fewer miles.

Otherwise, I'd start looking at 6-cylinder X5s and so on.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!

Last edited by TheOtherDave™; 09-15-2008 at 10:10 AM.
LT
The deer had to die!

Originally Posted by Civic2Scooby
if you want something as big as the exp, I would prob and this is just me, go with a 95-95 suburban diesel over the expo. About the same price, better gas mileage and a better work horse :dunno:
Werd.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:10 AM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4runner ftw