Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Mythbusters RFID security epidose killed

Old 08-30-2008, 08:50 PM
Joe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mythbusters RFID security epidose killed

http://consumerist.com/5043831/mythb...security-flaws

Mythbusters Gagged: Credit Card Companies Kill Episode Exposing RFID Security Flaws

Credit card companies successfully nixed a Mythbusters segment exposing RFID's security flaws, according to Arbiter of Truth and
Mythbusters co-host, Adam Savage.

''Texas Instruments comes on along with chief legal counsel for American Express, Visa, Discover, and everybody else... They were way, way outgunned and they absolutely made it really clear to Discovery that they were not going to air this episode talking about how hackable this stuff was, and Discovery backed way down being a large corporation that depends upon the revenue of the advertisers. Now it's on Discovery's radar and they won't let us go near it.''

That's pretty fucked up. Now I really wanna know what credit card companies want to hide. :run:
Old 08-30-2008, 09:01 PM
R_Squared
LEVEL UP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting. It sounds like the credit card companies have some work to do to fix these apparent flaws.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:11 PM
Black2KGSR

jesus...the lady at the end talking about pizza is annoying as fuck.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:12 PM
IluvJae
Grifball Player

doesn't surprise me
Old 08-30-2008, 09:12 PM
Red X
x pǝɹ

RFID is very unsecure. There are some encryption algorithms for the data, but considering how small the chips are and the limited energy capacity on the tag they are very easy to hack/read. It is very hard to verify users when the main purpose of the tag is to "report" its information. I kinda wish the episode would be "leaked".

Last edited by Red X; 08-30-2008 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:46 PM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

If anyone "finds" the episode, pm please.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:52 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Didn't watch the video, but I'm not surprised... and I'm also glad they never aired it
Old 08-30-2008, 10:14 PM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

Originally Posted by white_n_slow
Didn't watch the video, but I'm not surprised... and I'm also glad they never aired it
It's only a matter of time.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:14 PM
DakarM

Originally Posted by Red X
RFID is very unsecure. There are some encryption algorithms for the data, but considering how small the chips are and the limited energy capacity on the tag they are very easy to hack/read. It is very hard to verify users when the main purpose of the tag is to "report" its information. I kinda wish the episode would be "leaked".
i don't agree with that it's very unsecure. because the chips are small and they not have their own power source you have be very close to the reader to be able to read it. there are bigger more powerful readers available but they are really really big. not exactly pocket sized.

if someone steals your rfid card then it's a different story but it's the same if someone steals your credit card.
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:56 PM
A-series
v-card member alpha

I dunno what RFID is, but that sucks, mainly b/c it could be one less MB episode in the long run. If it would have helped people commit identity fraud, etc. though, I don't mind that much that it isn't going to be shown (not that it's going to make much difference in the end).

I wonder what happened with the episode they were supposed to show a couple weeks ago, about the internet vids (including car elevated by water hoses) as they didn't show it, it was a rerun, and now they're advertising that for next week.