Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Comcast pisses me off.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:23 AM
BetterBob
Nobama

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comcast pisses me off.

They are running somthing across the screen on the history channel that they are changing the station, and that starting in September you will need a digital set top box to view it. Along with some other channels.

We have one in the living room, but i watch tv on the computer.

I looked online, and saw the press release cited below.

The bastards are pawning off there digital set top boxes on us, so that when this comes out, they won't have a bunch of old tech sitting around.

And if i don't get one, i will have to watch all the good channels out in the living room

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-1_1-9845814-67.html

"The end of the cable set-top box? Yes, Comcast says
Posted by Zoë Slocum Post a Comment

Comcast, the United States' largest cable operator, says the set-top box's days are numbered.

At the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas on Tuesday, CEO Brian Roberts predicted in a keynote address that by the end of the year, "virtually the entire cable industry will support Tru2way," an "open cable" standard that would render the bulky boxes moot by directly integrating any U.S. cable provider's service with a variety of devices. Initial partners in the Tru2way endeavor include Motorola, TiVo, Intel, Samsung Electronics, Microsoft, LG Electronics, Cisco Systems, and Sun Microsystems.

Roberts also showed off a device, unveiled on Monday, that Comcast has co-branded with another partner, Matsushita Electric Industrial unit Panasonic. The AnyPlay, which has an 8.5-inch display screen, can record up to 60 hours of video, and it plays DVDs and CDs. It is slated to begin selling in the United States later this year.

Although Comcast CEO Brian Roberts indicated earlier to Reuters that Tru2way marks a step toward an "open, national, and interoperable structure between cable companies," the Consumer Electronics Association has argued that Tru2way would not be the truly open system that the Federal Communications Commission wants because it would not be compatible with the technologies of noncable video suppliers.

Ahem, DirecTV and Verizon Fios? The "era of closed cable" may be coming to an end, as Roberts said, but the wars between providers of television, broadband, and telephone services are far from over.

Indeed, the AnyPlay device is designed to play and record shows from any U.S. cable operator's system--but not those of satellite providers.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:25 AM
Tark

but it's comcastic... cna't beleive they used that as a slogan
Old 08-07-2008, 08:27 AM
Draconius
BAZINGA!

Time Warner is a pile of shit too...
Old 08-07-2008, 08:34 AM
IluvJae
Grifball Player

I would rather go without internet then to sign up for comcast
Old 08-07-2008, 09:51 AM
LT
The deer had to die!

Old 08-07-2008, 04:03 PM
Misa
Pic Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cablevision has been doing this for months now.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:56 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're doing this to free up bandwidth to give you other services.

All cable companies have been doing this ever since the switch to digital- you're just noticing it more now because it's getting into the bread and butter

Also the life of the set-top is far from over, theres going to have to be a phase in for this technology, hell set-tops using it will probably outnumber dedicated devices for quite some time...

Plus theres already a cable access standard out there, it just sucks, it's called cablecard and VOD and other interactives don't work with it... but you get all the channels.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:17 PM
TeggerLS

Originally Posted by LT
:werd: Commiecasth:

We're canceling their service in about a week. Dropped down to Verizon DSL and local only phoneh:
Old 08-07-2008, 05:23 PM
LT
The deer had to die!

Originally Posted by TeggerLS
:werd: Commiecasth:

We're canceling their service in about a week. Dropped down to Verizon DSL and local only phoneh:
Ew, you make me sick.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:24 PM
TeggerLS

Originally Posted by LT
Ew, you make me sick.
Tough times call for tougher measuresh: Trying to get Dish but we're having issues with the association trimming back the treesh: